Adding 2 x 2G Sockets - Which is my best option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the wife has decided that she wants to wall mount a new TV on the bedroom wall, but there's no electrical sockets nearby. I'm a confident DIY'er and have previously worked on the electrics installing outdoor lighting and spurring off a socket - so I feel I can do the work that's needed.

In the corner of the bedroom is a closet, next to which the newly mounted TV will go. The plan is to put the TiVo and the CCTV DVR in the closet (both are controlled through the network so don't need remote line of sight) and pass the HDMI cables through a brush plate in the wall.

This is my CU...
207000_206763_65269_44851659_thumb.jpg

The conduit at the top goes into the void space under the closet. My intention is to run cabling from the CU, up through the conduit, through the void and floor boards and up the wall to the top of the closet where I will install 2 x 2G sockets as there needs to be a socket for TV, TiVO, CCTV DVR and CCTV Camera Transformer.

So, I've done some homework and my question is... Which of the following would be the best option?

1). Add a 20A MCB to the CU. Run a RADIAL circuit in 2.5mm T+E to the top of the closet and install 2 x 2G Sockets.

2). Add a 32A MCB to the CU. Run a RING circuit in 2.5mm T+E to the top of the closet, install 2 x 2G sockets and run the cable back to the CU

3). (THIS IS THE ONE I'M LEAST SURE OF THE RULES). Run a SPUR cable in 2.5mm T+E from the existing Ring MCB in the CU to the top of the closet and install 2 x 2G Sockets.

I'm aware that there is a 4th option of extending the existing Ring Main but I fear it is unlikely that there is a suitable place to make a connection in the closet floor void. Plus, I have enough cable to go the extra 45cm direct to the CU.

Hopefully someone can tell me which is the most suitable option and whether I need to change anything to make it safe/suitable? I'm not looking for the cheapest way, I'm looking for the safest!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi option 1 , is best I would use a 16a b type MCB.

Regards,

Lxboy

Options 1 & 2 would be classed as a new circuit so you would have to inform you Local Authority Building Control before you started work - pay their fee and have the new installation tested and certified.
Option 3 would probably not be classed as a new circuit but as a spur of the existing ring final circuit. Don't forget to put the new neutral on the correct RCD linked neutral bar.
Unless you know what you are doing there is some risk of working within the CU - remember that even when the main switch is open some of the cables are still live inside.
Extending the existing ring final circuit by adding a spur is probably your simplest in terms of electrical technical knowledge. Sockets are sometimes closer than you think - especially upstairs and in houses with stud partition walls.

Adding a new circuit to the CU is classed as notifiable.

You are allowed to run one unfused spur from the origin of a circuit (ie the consumer unit) but not two. I wouldn't class this as a new circuit so not notifiable but only gives you 1x2G socket

If you're going to do it legally, neither of your options are the chepaest as notification is circa £250

I would say adding an FCU to ring and then bringing the supply for the two sockets from there is your best bet.

If you have access to the ring cables you need near the FCU there is nothing to stop you adding this FCU near to the CU and feeding from there

edit: damn too slow

Sponsored Links
Options 1 & 2 would be classed as a new circuit so you would have to inform you Local Authority Building Control before you started work - pay their fee and have the new installation tested and certified.

Does that mean the plumber who installed my shower should have done that the for shower circuit he added (the unlabelled MCB on the left)?

Unless you know what you are doing there is some risk of working within the CU - remember that even when the main switch is open some of the cables are still live inside.

If I flick this
207000_206763_65270_77751138_thumb.jpg

to OFF will that render ALL of the wires in the CU to not be live?

I would say adding an FCU to ring and then bringing the supply for the two sockets from there is your best bet.

If you have access to the ring cables you need near the FCU there is nothing to stop you adding this FCU near to the CU and feeding from there

So this is option 3 with the addition of a FCU (Fused Connection Unit?) between the CU and the first socket?

Does that mean the plumber who installed my shower should have done that the for shower circuit he added (the unlabelled MCB on the left)?
Yes most definitely.
[If I flick this
207000_206763_65270_77751138_thumb.jpg

to OFF will that render ALL of the wires in the CU to not be live?
Yes but follow the safe isolation procedure as well.

So this is option 3 with the addition of a FCU (Fused Connection Unit?) between the CU and the first socket?

Yes that's the best DIY plan IMO. Of course you could do it as a 16a radial but really, for the extra £250 it will cost you, the extra 3amps really isn't worth it.

You'll probably find in reality the things you want to use these sockets for don't even use anywhere near 5a anyway. My whole house (without the imm heater on) uses about 5a on average total.

Going on from Option3, how about a single length of 2.5 T&E connected to the 32A ring breaker in the CU terminating with an FCU in the closet to which is hard-wired a 6 or 8 way trailing socket? As others have stated, the total load of all the proposed equipment is probably below 5A!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back