Adding a external switch for deck lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, please help.

I'm very much a novice and need some advice. I have just have a large deck built and have the 'Select A Light' low voltage deck lighting system, from B & Q running around the edge. I will be adding lights over a period of time but have just installed 2 deck lights in the corners.

The LV wire runs into the garage, connects to a transformer which is plugged into a wall socket.

I would like to have a switch on the outside wall of the garage to control all the lights on the deck, and preferably the transformer 'hard wired' so that it frees a plug socket.

How do i do this? Does the switch need to be switching the mains circuit or can I just add a switch to the LV wire?

Please could someone help?

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
You can take a fused spur (FCU) of the socket circuit in the garage which must be down fused to the rating of the fuse in the plug currently operating the equipment.
From the FCU you then run a cable that is suitable for the outside environment, this can then be feed to your outside switch, which in turn can then be connected to your transformer.

You are aware of.......?dare I say it?
part p part p part p part p part p of the building regulations which concerns domestic electrical installation in England and Wales.

there I said it!

Use a bell transformer to provide an auxillary ELV supply for the switch(s) on the deck area which control a relay(s) whose contacts control the mains to the transformer(s) for the deck lighting.

This avoids the need to have switches that are suitable and safe on mains voltage when exposed to the weather. Uses low cost bell wire for the control circuit(s)

Sponsored Links
You could of course switch the ELV but this would leave the transformer consuming power constantly.

OK, I will get a FCU and run the mains cable to it, but how do I wire the switch?

I have bought a masterseal 10A single switch, is this OK? It has a L, COM, N and E terminal.

Do I wire (from the FCU) live to L, earth to E and neutral to N, then cut the plug off the transformer and wire the live to COM, neutral to N and earth to E?

I told you I was a novice!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back