Adding a garden tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I bought a kit from my local store. Took a feed off my kitchen tap (front of house) using the self cutting valve included and ran it down the side past the side door but pressure is really low.

I already have a tap outside which is fed off a pipe which goes upstairs rather than directly off the main supply. This pressure is really good but I wanted the additional tap for the garden to prevent having to run the hose from the front every time.

Now,I was just wondering if I used a similar self cutting valve connection would I lose any pressure from that type of connection or would a compression t joint be better? I've never carried out any soldering joints before hence the compression.

Just wondered if they cause any pressure loss.

Sponsored Links
cut it out and use a compression, it likely the self tap aint bored right through

Self cutting tap sets are s**te.
Best to do it properly,soldered joints,check valve,service valve.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. How much pipe needs to be cut to fit a compression tee piece in place?

Thanks guys. How much pipe needs to be cut to fit a compression tee piece in place?

About 18mm. You need to make sure you have enough play in the pipe to get the compression tee on though. If you don't you may need to get a slip coupling as well.

Get a spare piece of pipe, insert it into the fitting and mark with a pencil. That will show you exactly how much to cut out.

Thanks guys. All depends now if I have enough play the pipe work to slip the tee into position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back