Leaking isolation valve bathroom sink ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

This is a picture of the hot water feed to the bathroom sink (I know it has a blue tab on the valve).

Copper pipe connects to the compression joint of the isolation valve. Then a small length of copper pipe connects the valve to the flexible hose to the sink tap.

There is green discolouration as you can see, which presumably is a small leak in this area. I assumed the compression joints needed tightening a bit but when I turned off the isolation valve it would NOT turn off fully AND a small squirt of water seemed to come out of the centre of valve itself. This seemed to stop when I turned the isolation valve back on again.

So, my question is this - Do isolation valves leak from within themselves and out of the tap and why does the valve not fully turn off? Or is it still likely that the compression joints either side of the valve onto the copper pipe and on the flexible tap hose need tightening?

Thank to everyone for their advice.

Mutley56

View media item 35064

Sponsored Links
Iso's do tend to leak from the on/off valve when the seal is damaged, ie when closing them after a period of time being on.
forcing them straight to closed position does tend to make them leak.

I would re-new the valve clean all the pipework and refit
abit of jointing compound wouldn't go a miss.

Many thanks for your advice Seco Services.

I am glad that I didn't tighten the compression joints and crush the pipe and make matters a whole lot worse - leaks on a Sunday £££££££ to fix.

Thanks again.

Mutley56 :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back