Isolator valves for a sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new sink is supplied with a mixer tap and flexi pipes. I've found that the flexi needs flat face isolator valves for connection.

My local SF branch appears not to stock compression/flat face isolators. Are 15mm washing machine isolator valves suitable for sink pipe isolation?

Sponsored Links
Wash Mac valves have the wrong thread.
Fit tap tail adaptors into your existing isolation valves. Either 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch to suit the thread of your flexis.

Are 15mm washing machine isolator valves suitable for sink pipe isolation?
The threads will be too big. You can file the sharp edge off the end of the threads on a normal isolation valve. Or use flat tail adapters on the flexis.

1. No. Washing machine isolation valves have 3/4BSP threaded outlets, not 1/2" BSP.
2. If you can't get flat faced isolation valves easily, get adaptors. Screwfix 2665R if your flexi's are 1/2" BSP, Screwfix 6089R if they are 3/8" BSP.
3. If your isolation valves are already fitted but are missing their tap end nuts, you will also need two nuts and two olives. Easiest to buy as 1 x Screwfix 95828. More than you need.

Sponsored Links
The flat face end of the adapter mentioned above and the isolator valve I found on TS website is 1/2BSP thread but the coupler nut on the flexi I have seems to be metric thread so will not fit. They spin on about a turn then jam.

I been to my local hardware and they have isolator valves which the flexi nut does screw onto but have an olive rim.

Anyone one know of an isolator valve with a metric thread on the flat face end?

This is a photo of the flexi end,

full

I believe I have a solution!

Using these isolators and inserting an o ring in the flexi coupler to sit on the rubber washer, I can get it tightened with a 22mm spanner. I'll silicone grease the o ring. I'm presuming it will a good water tight seal?

full

Don't play with separate orings /washers etc, they're not designed for that, it's just a fudge, nor using the wrong threaded end, never advisable when it comes to water.

As suggested, get a flat file and flatten one end of a normal ISO and it'll fit without issue. They're just brass so dead soft and take no more than a few secs to flatten it enough so it doesn't bite into the seal of the tail.

I believe I have a solution!

Using these isolators and inserting an o ring in the flexi coupler to sit on the rubber washer, I can get it tightened with a 22mm spanner. I'll silicone grease the o ring. I'm presuming it will a good water tight seal?

full

Based on my own hellish previous experience of a no name Toolstation lever valve snapping (the fitting just snapped apart and caused £5K damage) after 3 years. I am happy to pay for Peglar valves. 5 times more expensive but trustworthy.

The internet is great in so far as you can find cheap stuff, but it can prove to be very expensive.

Update!

I got a set of flat face isolators at a local plumber merchant and I had to get a set of pipes too. The pipes that were supplied with the sink and tap did not have true 1/2" BSP threads so would not screw fully onto a fitting.

Sink is now installed and all is well.

Thanks All!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back