Flexi connectors & isolating valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm just away to install a new bathroom. My current bathroom is old & has no isolating valves on the pipework. Im going to fit flexi pipes on sink & bath. What type of isolating valve do I need to enable them to join up? i.e. if I screw flexi pipe straight onto tap, will the opposite end of it screw straight into the isolating valve which will be on the main pipework? Also, my current shower is being replaced. Where would be best to put isolating valves for this?

Sponsored Links
Be aware that flexi pipes severely restrict the flow of water as they have a much smaller bore than their equivalent size in copper pipe. You'll need a short length of copper pipe between the valve and the flexi.

Be aware that flexi pipes severely restrict the flow of water as they have a much smaller bore than their equivalent size in copper pipe. You'll need a short length of copper pipe between the valve and the flexi.
Depending on your choice of iso valve that is.

What you use depends on the flexi connectors you get with the bath and basin taps, that is if you must use flexi's.

1. If the pipework end is a compression fitting, you need a short (60mm) length of copper pipe to connect an ordinary isolating valve to the flexi.
2. If the pipework end is a female threaded fitting (with a rubber washer inside) you will need:
2a. A flat faced isolation valve as a direct connection. (E.g. BES part No. 23573 for 15mm)
OR
2b. An isolating valve connector (tap tail connector). (E.g. Toolstation 14081 for 15mm)
OR
2c. Get the best isolating valve you can (E.g. Pegler full bore), 15mm for basin, probably 22mm for bath. These need connecting by a short (60mm) length of appropriate diameter pipe to male irons (they are made of brass) which have a compression fitting one end and a BSP thread the other. You'd probably need 2 off 15mm x 1/2"" and 2 off 22mm x 3/4". Connect pipe to isolation valve, and compression end of iron to other end of pipe, then flexi to other side of iron.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back