Isolating valve appears to have stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Just fitting a monoblock tap to a new basin, the pipes were fitted with isolating valves then a bit of copper pipe and plastic stop ends. I took off the stop ends and had the equivalent tap slightly running downstairs while I fitted flexi pipes and a compression joint.

No water was coming out, fitted the hot water tap and turned on the valve, there was a slight leak on the compression joint which when I tried to tighten it the isolating valve somehow turned and started leaking, tightend valve up and seemed ok, but it doesn't seem to isolate the water anymore as the compression joint was still leaking so turned off the valve but water still comes through the tap. Have I messed it up or could it be that it didn't work before very well.

Also will PTFE tape sort out the leak on the compression joint, it is a very slight leak.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it sound like the valves snapped or there passing you would be better off changing them an id use a bit on jointing compound like jet blue on the compression.

Try splitting the joint again and spreading some sealing compound around the olive.....have you got the isolator valve on the right way round? Check for the arrow if there is one. Turn the isolator screw exactly 90 deg across the axis to turn it off fully.
John :)

I feel a right idiot, the bar was just a bit off being horizontal so it seems to be working now tap is just dripping where as before it was still flowing out, problem is that the valve had got turned so it now faces the wall so it's hard to get it dead on horizontal as you can't really see it.

I will try PTFE tape as have some in the house if that doesn't fix the joint i'll get some jointing compound, it only seeps out very slowly so hopefully that will work.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
I feel a right idiot, the bar was just a bit off being horizontal so it seems to be working now tap is just dripping where as before it was still flowing out, problem is that the valve had got turned so it now faces the wall so it's hard to get it dead on horizontal as you can't really see it.

I will try PTFE tape as have some in the house if that doesn't fix the joint i'll get some jointing compound, it only seeps out very slowly so hopefully that will work.

Thanks guys.

Just crack open the isolator nuts and turn it so it can be seen....it'll seal up again just fine.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back