do small leaks ever stop by themselves?

I

imamartian

I've recently plumbed in a basin and cistern. My first time using solder (previously only used push fit and compression). Had 24 joints to solder and they were all fine. My one and only leak is in the isolator valve i put in to the cistern - and the water is coming out of the actual screw that turns the ball valve !!!

It is the smallest of leaks, and gets only damp after an hour or so (slightly more damp than condensation on the cold pipe). It is such a slow leak that i think it evaporates before it builds enough water to drip.

What would the pro's recommend? I guess change it, and buy better quality fittings in future? Is there a chance it will stop by itself in time?

Sponsored Links
I doubt it very much and I would replace it. Won't be more than a 10 min job.

Unlike us though you have the option to leave it as we would get called back and we couldn't risk a drip getting worse and damaging a customers property :(

MOST fittings we can buy easily are pretty dismal quality!
Peglers is a brand worth paying a bit extra for.

But yes leaks often do stop by themselves. Scale I suppose, I've never seen a fully satisfying explanation!

Sponsored Links
Won't be more than a 10 min job.

Haha !! i wish !! it'll be a 2 hour job for me... it's in an awkward spot, difficult to cut the pipe. Then i'll probably under-do the compression joint on the isolator valve... then i'll probably overtighten it or slip tightening it and crack the cistern.... if there's any luck to be had, i get the bad stuff...

so now you see why i'm tempted to leave it :LOL:

try turning the screww through 180 degrees - it will bed in the seal and may shift any bit of grit causing the problem.

Good idea! i have closed it off a fraction, but that hasn't worked.
I'll give it a go thanks.

why put a valve where you cant get at it?

<<try turning the screww through 180 degrees - it will bed in the seal and may shift any bit of grit causing the problem. >>

Just try doing what this poster said before you try replacement.

You haven't done it yet and it sometimes works!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back