Using a flexible tap hose with check valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am fitting a new worktop and recycling the existing sink basin and taps (seperate hot and cold).

Previously taps were connected with copper pipe. I have cut back the pipes and added compression flexible tap connector hoses 300mm with built-in isolating valves, but unfortunately one of them does not now reach the tap to screw in.

I have found longer flexible hoses (500mm) but these do not have the isolating valves and the instructions say to use with a seperate check valve.

My question is how do I fit this check valve, and if I am going to go to the trouble of inserting a valve would it be better to fit some kind of tap/isolating valve instead of a simple one-way check valve?

Do I fit the check valve to the end of my copper pipe, then fit another small length of copper pipe to the other end of the check valve, and then finally fit the compression end of the flexible hose to the small length of copper pipe? (so essentially I have a very small length of copper pipe maybe 10cm or so sandwiches between the check valve and the flexi hose). If so, would this be a little unstable?

I'm a beginner at this so the above solution may be complete rot...! So please tell me if i'm barking completely up the wrong tree!

Sponsored Links
You don't need a check valve with seperate taps. They are more often used with mixers, where back-flow poss from mains cold into the hot water cylinder may occur.

Just fit your flexi with a normal 15mm iso.valve on the pipe below flexi.

Just a point but some of the longer flexi's have a desperately slow flow rate....it could be an issue if you have gravity fed hot water.
Go for the 300mm with an isolator with a short length of copper and a compression coupling if you can, to extend the original pipe.
John :)

Sponsored Links
IF you do need check valves, these will fit between the flexi and the tap tail:
eb20fm235.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back