Flexible hoses for shower supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'll be installing a shower valve on a tiled, drywall. The shower valve has compression fittings for the hot and cold supply. I'm wondering if I can save myself some trouble by using flexible hoses fitted with a copper pipe end for the supply so I don't need to be so accurate with the position / angle of the supply pipes as they come out of the wall and into the shower valve.

I was thinking about teeing off the hot and cold pipes, then using copper pipes to take the supply within a foot or so of the shower valve, then connecting some flexible hoses, then connecting some further small pieces of copper pipe to the hoses in order to connect them to the compression joints on the shower valve.

Questions:
1) Is it legal to fit a flexible hose within a drywall partition?
2) Will the hoses be able to breath to prevent the rubber from rotting?
3) Is it a reasonable idea or is lining up the supply pipes with the valve not all that bad?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can buy a bracket from good plumbing merchants (6" centres)... bracket is within wall and holds pipe exactly.

P1010886.jpg

Hi,

I'll be installing a shower valve on a tiled, drywall.

Questions:
1) Is it legal to fit a flexible hose within a drywall partition?
2) Will the hoses be able to breath to prevent the rubber from rotting?
3) Is it a reasonable idea or is lining up the supply pipes with the valve not all that bad?

Many Thanks.

DO NOT tile onto dry wall. Use something like Hardie Wallbacker which is waterproof (and tank it as well for complete security).

1) Yes
2) I would not like these hidden as they may need replacing some day.
3) It's not bad - just be accurate. Use a bracket makes life easy.

Thank you for the quick response! Sounds like a bracket and fixed pipes are the way to go. Didn't realise such a thing existed.

Thanks for the tanking advice - I've ordered a tanking kit (dunlop) for the drywall.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Silly question, but google's not returning the results I expected....what exactly is such a bracket called? I've tried pipe bracket/supply pipe bracket/concealed pipe bracket/etc, but can't seem to come up with anything.

Do you have any links? Thanks.

Funnily enough I could not find anything on the web. Racking my brains for a brand name but cannot think of it. Have bought two from two different merchants - about £20 ish each.

Anybody out there seen em online?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back