isolating valve with detatchable flexible hose.

28 Mar 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
A plumber recently installed some isolating valves with detatchable flexible hoses as part of some temporary plumbing.

So there is a compression joint on one end, then the isolating valve (screwdriver operated), then there is a screw connection with a rubber washer (similar to the connection on a washing machine hose but smaller and made of metal not plastic), then a braided flexible hose and finally another compresison joint on the other end.

I would like to get some more of these valves/hoses but i'm drawing a blank, anyone know what they are called and where to buy them?
Sponsored Links
I don't think it's a filling loop. Here is a picture of it.


When the plumber re-did my central heating and some of my plumbing he used them to reconnect our old kitchen sink (we hadn't bought the new one yet and hadn't 100% confirmed the location of stuff).

I don't know if the isolator and flexible pipe were bought as a single item or if they were bought separately.

I decided in the end to fit the new sink myself and decided to keep the isolator+detatchable flexi combinations. They provide a very convenient point for isolating and disconnecting and for someone as crap as plumbing as me having some flexibility in the system is much easier than having everything rigid. Isolator valves are also useful so that I don't have to turn off the water to the whole house every time one of my joints leaks.

I now want to hook up the old sink in my outhouse and would like to buy some more of these isolator+detatchable flexi combinations, but I don't know where the plumber got them from and my searches have pretty much drawn a blank (I did find one ebay listing but i'd rather not buy stuff on ebay if I can avoid it)
Sponsored Links
As posted above you can get a combined flexi and ballofix (isolator) but I would buy them separately and not use one of the nuts and olives on the ballofix.
This way, it is always easier to remove the flexi from the ballofix valve rather than trying get up underneath the sink! It also means you can change the flexi's only at a later date - leaving the ballofixes in position in the pipework without having to turn water off elsewhere and drain down.

Just look for flexi hose and ballofix isolators at any of the major stores or go to your local plumbing shop.
The flexi you have in your picture is a compression tap connector used in reverse. Usually the end on the valve would be connected to a tap and the other end would compress onto the end of an open pipe. Yours has just been tuned around. If using the flexi as in your picture you need to be careful attaching to the ISO valve as it has a sharper edge (designed to take an metal olive), if it's tightened too much then you can burst the washer so just needs to be 'tight enough'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local