Adding a latch handle to multipoint lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our front door currently has just a deadlock with bolts that have to be set before locking, by lifting the door handle. Is it possible to add a latch function while retaining the deadlock function? We'd like the reassurance of the latch for in the daytime where we sometimes forget to set the deadlock when coming and going...

Attachments

• 2023-01-04 21.15.29.jpg
    2023-01-04 21.15.29.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2023-01-04 21.15.35.jpg
    2023-01-04 21.15.35.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
You already have a latch, it's above the deadlock and retracts when you push the handle down

I think the OP means operating like a night/ Yale latch - ie a split spindle.
Yes, I probably did but am not familiar with the terminology! I'd like the door to lock behind me whenever I close it upon leaving the house so that I need a key to open it from the outisde with the option of a deadlock as we have now.

Sponsored Links
Some locking mechanisms may be able to take a split spindle - ie there are two separate bars for the front back lever handles, other mechanisms not.

You need to determine make/ model of the lock mechanism and then research that.

But "split spindle" is the terminology you should be googling.

Bear in mind that this makes it much easier for you to lock yourself out.

As woody says its a split spindle you need , take the handle off and look for a second spindle hole. If no second hole ,the lock you have won't be suitable. you may be able to get a new gearbox. yours is an Era but make sure you remove the old one to check any new ones are exactly the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back