Adding a path into the lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our front lawn borders the drive but during once the cars are parked on the drive we often end up walking down the edge of the front lawn.

This is ok in the summer but in the winter it makes the lawn look messy and brings muddy shoes into the house.

We want to create a path in the first 1m of the lawn. Just under 6m long. It slopes down towards the house.

I'm thinking of using 20mm slate chippings for the path. I was planning on digging down about 10cm and putting down 5cm of crushed stone (type 1 mot) - compacting this then putting the slate chippings on top.

Does that sound ok?

If it is ok, my questions are...

Is it likely to drift down the slope or will slate stay more or less in place? Is there anything that can be done to help out stay in place (I was wondering whether stepping the crushed stone underneath would help?

What is the best edging to use between the grass and the slate? I'd like something that is barely visible but retains the edge over time. If also like it to be level so that it isn't a tripping hazard.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For such a short distance perhaps you could consider using a series of stepping stones?

I don't fancy any large stone as it doesn't get as much sunlight at the front (North facing) so thinks can get mossy / green and go slippery.

I thought the 20mm slate would be grippier.

Okay, so slate can be slippery when wet and you can find stone with a serrated pattern to help with grip, although moss will grow wherever it can get a hold, a stiff brush will keep them clear.
Perhaps 20mm pea gravel could be an option to consider: there's a variety of colours and has less chance of slipping.

Sponsored Links
pea gravel contained in a grid - look on Google;) I used Aco Ground Guard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back