adding a rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a vailant combi boiler system to witch I would like to add a rad to. There are 2 22mm pipes running through my porch and turning at 90 angles with soldered joints. My plan is to change these to 22mmx22mmx15mm to branch off to a new rad.

Does this sound ok and when I drain down can I turn off the rads to keep water in them or should I do a full drain and refill.?

I have done soldering pipes before so I am confidant that the work will be ok.

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine if the boiler has enough output for additional radiator. You should flush out the flux afterwards though.

Thanks yes the boiler will be ok as I will be removing one of the same size at the bottom of the stairs as we have opened them up and now there are two rads about 3 feet apart. This is not near the porch unfortunately.

To flush should I refill then open the filling loop and the drain at the same time or fill and empty then refill?. thanks

You should flush out the flux afterwards though.

Maybe I'm going for overkill here - others will undoubtedly comment. Since you've already drained the system (pipework anyway), you may be able to flush locally through that section of pipe by hosing water down your new tails and releasing this through the next nearest disconnected valve on the run.

On the other hand, you may want to take the opportunity to do a chemical flush to the system anyway, following manufacturers instructions, before refilling with inhibitor added.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back