Adding a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our ensuite shower room gets a little cold at this time of year so I would like to add a radiator to the room.

What I want to know is what the best way to add a rad would be.

Currently in the main part of the house there is the main loop. Years back there has been an extension added for the bedroom there is simply two pipes which go back to the main loop. (The ensuite is at the other end of this room). The garage is under this bedroom.

There are also some rooms at the back of the garage which have heating. These are connected again to the main loop which runs through the garage then T's off to one rad and continues to the other. The ensuite isn't far off the rad that T's off here.

I've attached an image to try and show how it is setup.

Most of the rads have a direct connection to the main loop like the newer bedroom rad (bottom rad on the pic)

The only ones that don't are the two at the far end of the extension which both come off one set of pipes.

The system is a conventional boiler on a Y plan, where I have shown pipes obviously there is actually two pipes (flow & return).

Everything currently works fine.

So down to the questions:

Can I just T into the pipes which go to the rad on the top right of the diagram and feed them to the new rad?

I'm struggling for room in the ensuite and the only spare patch of wall is approx 1 foot wide by 5 foot high. Can I get a rad that small to fit? It doesn't need to be a huge output as the room is only small. My other thought was to make a rad from copper pipe and elbows and just let the water flow through (using an isolator to restrict it so the other two rads get some flow) - would this option work?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry - what do you mean by "what section"?

The pipes are 15mm copper piping.

In effect I want to extend the pipes by T'ing off just before another rad across from the top right rad on the diagram to the X.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The extra rad is to go in the room above. The downstairs rad is more than adequate for the size of the room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back