Adding a socket via a junction box clarification .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've added spurs before however not via a junction box, all cables currently run up into a one level void ceiling space which I can access but not get into because it's narrow, it a galley kitchen but all the plugs are at one end with electric wires running to rear which is bathroom, supplying lights and extractor/shower but no sockets, When I open the loft hatch there are a number of wires running the length of the kitchen, can I splice into any of these and create a junction box with fuse even if it's the shower, bathroom light?, obviously I won't be splicing into the light / extractor switches. It's going to be for washing machine so what fuse will I need in the junction box if this Is possible?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I've just been up for another look, theres a hell of a lot of red and black wires dissapearing into the unknown one end and just lying around unattached to anything on the other end that don't seem to be live, I'm assuming they are the old wires that have just been left in, another work of genius is attached, a version of a junction box with what appears to be a live wire just going nowhere. So I think I'll use that for the junction box so it will solve the problem of the bodge and make my life slightly easier

Attachments

• DSC_0172.JPG
    DSC_0172.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 47
that don't seem to be live, I'm assuming they are the old wires that have just been left in,

A dangerous. possibly fatal, assumption.

You should employ a competent electrician to look at the wiring and advise you what is necessary to (1) ensure the wiring is safe and then (2) how to obtain power for the new socket,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back