Shaver socket off an existing fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just installed an extractor fan in my bathroom. It's the type that includes a 12v halogen light.

The switched fused spur is mounted high up on the wall outside the bathroom and is supplied from an existing junction box on the lighting circuit.

This supply in turn goes to a new 4-terminal junction box at which the wiring for the fan, light transformer and switch terminate.

My question is:

Is it ok to supply the shaver socket (the approved kind for a bathroom) from the supply side of this new junction box (and thereby the fused spur) or does it need its own fused spur (seems unnecessary to me)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Work in a bathroom is notifiable, which means you should get the LABC to check that everything has been wired correctly according to the regulations.

Otherwise you get a P registered electricain to do the work and certify it.

There are many factors to take into consideration in doing what you are asking. It is not just a matter of wiring one thing to another. So advising you on one aspect, could mean that you have ommitted to take into consideration others that could put the whole thing in jeopardy.

bacoms said:
The switched fused spur is mounted high up on the wall outside the bathroom and is supplied from an existing junction box on the lighting circuit.

Why?? a switched fused spur is not needed if this is truly powered from the lighting circuit. you do need a fan isolator switch, however. Where is that located?

Sponsored Links
I just followed the instructions for installing the fan which said -

"The fan can either be operated from a separate pullcord switch fitted to the ceiling or can can be connected to the light switch so that the fan will start when the light is switched on. A double poled fused spur having a contact separation of at least 3mm on all poles must be used and fitted with a 3amp fuse, and be sited outside any room containing a shower or fixed bath."

Doesn't using a switched fused spur constitute a "fan isolator switch"?

Also, if I take the supply for the shaver socket off the "load" side of this switched fused spur, haven't I provided the means of isolating the shaver socket as well? It seemed reasonable to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back