Bathroom light spur & ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last weekend i changed the old single bathroom light for spotlights. -( 4 x 11 watt energy saving, which are excellent). I found that the old ceiling rose had the two ring wires, light switch, shaver socket wire, & extractor fan wire!

This is against the rule of 1 spur off of a ring isnt it?? - especially as the next job is to add a shower pump supply in that area.

to sort it all out i think i need to extend the ring to a further switched fuse box. There will then be one spur from the original lighting rose to the extractor fan. the shower will be powered from the extended ring switched fuse box. The shaver socket will be spurred from shower box.
Is that the correct way?

all work will be done to standard & signed off in one go.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
First off, the work you have already done (eg the downlights) are notifiable - you should have notified before you did the work.
Registered electrcians are not permitted to notify work done by others.

Secondly - now you have done new work - you need to comply with the latest wiring regulations, so all circuits in the bathroom must now be protected by an RCD (or RCDs).

Thirdly. Lighting circuits are not ring final circuits, they are radials so the term 'spur' does not apply.

i would run a new circuit to the board and drop on the rcd protected side of the board alternatively protect it with a rcbo,

all work in bathrooms need to comply to the special location and notification as you know.

connect the shower pump on the new circuit and possibly move the shaver over to.

a bit of discrimination would make a better design.

hopefully move the lighting to the protected side of the CU to. (RCD) or drop another rcbo in .

Sponsored Links
Lights are served via a radial circuit not a ring.

A lighting circuit is typically 6a run in 1.0mm TE or 1.5mm TE, it's common to have lower wattage equipment on a lighting circuit and the shaver / fan off the lighting isn't unusual.

What's the power use rating of the pump you intend to install, and since it is normal for a pump to be located at floor level, why would taking a feed from the lighting circuit be the best option?

In today's perfect environment:-

Your fan should work in tandem with light operation and have a isolator (outside the bathroom) to allow the lights to work and the fan to be maintained.

The shaver socket is fine to run from a lighting circuit subject to being a location rated IPX item.

The pump can run from a lighting circuit, but considering the total load for the whole light circuit is only 6a it is better to spur from a socket (ring) circuit and provide a suitable rated fuse spur with a flex outlet for the pump cable. The pump can be located outside the bathroom, such as the airing / hw tank cupboard to avoid zone issues.

Then there's the bonding for each circuit inside the bathroom to consider, and RCBO or RCD protection.

Since you are getting this all signed off and the work needs such, for firm, correct detail (to suit your requirements) you should consult the person doing the certs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back