weird lighting ring

PJP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble with my upstairs light ring layout.

1) It seems that the bathroom light is spurred off the main ring and there is a shaver light and extractor fan spured off the bathroom light rose....

Does this seem normal for a 14yr old house?

2) Does anyone know the maximum length and maximimum bends allowed for 10mm^2 cable?

3) can a fan be taken directly off the ceiling rose in the bathroom without going through a isolator switch?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

1) It can be spured however there has to be on a 3A fuse.

2) not sure withour looking

3) It can be taken directly from the ceiling rose however there much be some form of isolation between the ceiling rose and fan.

carlos

Ban all sheds:

ban-all-sheds said:
1) A lighting circuit is not a ring, your bathroom light is not a spur and it does not need a fuse.

2) http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.4.2.htm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on bends.

If its not a ring, what is it? (I was presuming all lightcircuits were a ring, but I cant figure out ours at all)

Carlos: Ok thanks, an isolator could be a standard dble pole switch ooutside bathroom?

Sponsored Links
er ok.....

have they always been radials on houses? this may explain why i cant figure out whats going on

(I presumed upstairs and downstairs were seperate rings)

ban-all-sheds said:
Always - lighting circuits have never been rings.

Ok this explains alot. what I have in my bathroom is a ceiling rose for the light, a pull switch for the bathroom light and a pull switch for the fan (with isolator (rocker) switch outside bathroom door).

There are 4 wires in the light rose.

1) wire from bedroom light rose
2) wire to shaver light
3) wire to extractor fan (to isolator outside door, which then goes in to fan pull switch)
4) wire to bathroom light pull switch

So can I wire the extractor fan directly to the rose, so that I can use the light pull switch to also turn on fan?

Yes - use the same terminals that are connected to the actual light, (plus the permanent live from the cable from the bedroom if the fan has a timed overrun), and go via the isolation switch to the fan.

Ok,

so are the shaver light and fan "spurs" off the rose itself as they on have one wire going to each of them?

ban-all-sheds said:
Always - lighting circuits have never been rings.

I know a lecky who rings lighting circuits.

Perhaps he`s the only one though.
I must admit it`s damned unusual

BAS, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with wiring the lighting circuit as a ring, is there?
Is it actually against regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back