adding a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
This may have been asked before but I am looking for advice:
I have a unit mounted 1.5m up the wall holding a tv and the socket is at normal level. I was going to install a socket higher up the wall and have,I think 2 choices:

Chase from the existing socket out 200mm horizontal and go directly up to below the unit and then install the socket at the height I want or

Break into the existing pvc conduit running down the wall,cut one of the legs of the ring,pull it out and fit a surface box thus keeping the ring continous if you know what I mean.

any leanings one way or another?

Thanks for the replies

Sponsored Links
You cannot run horizontally from a socket then turn 90degrees & run vertically to a spurred socket, if that is what you mean, as you will be installing cable not in a safe zone. Your second suggestion is ok, but you will probably struggle to get any spare length on the vertical drop, so will have to replace the leg that runs down to the original socket(cable between the sockets) completely & you still need to keep the sockets in line vertically.

jj4091 said:
You cannot run horizontally from a socket then turn 90degrees & run vertically to a spurred socket, if that is what you mean, as you will be installing cable not in a safe zone.

How so?

Sponsored Links
jj4091 said:
You cannot run horizontally from a socket then turn 90degrees & run vertically to a spurred socket, if that is what you mean, as you will be installing cable not in a safe zone.

Yes it is! You can run horizontal or vertical from an accessory and then make a 90degree turn to its destination accessory. This is considered a safe zone.

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back