Adding a stat to baxi 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi 80e with wireless Towerstat RF/BM. The Rx unit has died a death, and i'm going to put the old mechanical timer unit back in. Problem is there was no stat, which is why I replaced it with the Towerstat.

I am going to buy a wired room stat, and whilst I am quite competent fiddling with electronics, could someone advise me how the wired stat wires in to the main PCB? Unless there's a wireless stat anyone could recommend, without replacing with another Towerstat as they're crap! I dont fancy routing a cable half way round the house for the wired one!

thanks!
JT

Sponsored Links
There will be your LIVE-NEUTRAL- and EARTH Then 2 x others

ITS these 2 that connect to the stat!

Terminals 1 and 2

Sponsored Links
EDIT: So i opened the boiler in order to link T1&2 together and there was already a link cable in there. It's a standard terminal block, and the link was linking one end of the two individual blocks together and then two black wires coming out the other end of each.
I followed these two and they end up connecting to the Rx boiler module for the Towerstat.
There are only two other wires going into this and they're the br/bl L/N feed, so I can surmise that the two black ones are the ones that needed connecting. I did this, and bingo, up fired the boiler. Problem is i cant turn it off unless i do it manually. using the Ch/Hw switch on the front of the boiler.

So If I buy an external programme unit, as the boiler module Rx unit is no longer going to be installed, leaving the L/N and two black wires defunct, can I just connectthe new one t directly to the two black wires, using the L/N feed?

so can i just buy any stat, and it will have two wires coming out of it, which is essence will have continuity between them when the stat switches on the heating?

I presume i'll have to source a 240v feed for the stat to run off? can this be taken directly from the L/N terminals on the PCB, and if so, what terminal numbers are these?

Secondary question, I want to test if the Rx unit on my current towerstat is at fault, so if I directly connect T1&2 with a link wire, will this just make the boiler fire up, and then if it still cuts out on me, does that mean its the boiler at fault rather than the Rx unit of the towerstat?

Oh, and are these two terminals the same two i would connect a programmable timer with integrated stat to??

Really appreciating the help here :)

jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back