BAXI 80e keeps cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi 80e combi with a Towerstat RF/BM wireless programmer/thermostat.

All been plain sailing for a couple of years since the Towerstat replaced the old DIP switch module.

Lately, the boiler hasn't been responsing to the Tx unit. I thought it was a battery problem, but a fresh set didn't solve.

I figured it was interference, so I changed to Tx channel. No luck.

That problem magically stopped, as long as the Tx is close to Rx, to be replaced by a new problem, which is that once the heating has been on for a while and the radiators are only lukewarm, it just cuts out, and becomes unresponsive and a red light starts flashing ont he Rx module. If I press & hold the reset button and re-aquaint the Tx/Rx, then try again it works fine, only to cut out a few minutes later, and the red light starts flashing again.

This morning I noticed the pressure gauge was low, so I topped up the pressure, and it bagan working fine for a good 15 minutes, wand I initially thoguht because the pressure was low, it was overheating quickly and tripping out. But then it tripped out again! i'm losing my rag with this thing, and am beginning to think abiout replacing it all, as it is 10 years old!

I'm erring on the side of a Rx fault as having to have the Tx unit close by, and coupled with the red flashing light and having to reaquaint the two all the time. Either that or some thermostat has dies a death in the boiler itself.

Worth noting, the hot water works fine.

Any suggestions to get a new lease of life from my Baxi??

Cheers :)

JT

Sponsored Links
What will that do??
and by "terminal box" do you mean the terminals where the Rx module connects up, or is there another box with terminals in it?

Thanks!
Jon

Sponsored Links
but will that put it on permanantly, or still allow me to use the remote programmer/thermostat unit?

ok, before I go connecting together two terminals, are they live, or low voltage triggers for a relay? and i take it this will just fire up the boiler bypassing the heating timer control, allowing the boiler to function independently and then i see if it's a boiler problem if it still cuts out?

shhhhhhh ;)

the stat is at fault
personal thing i think they are poo

im sure dave hailsham will tell you whats wrong if you wait for him
meanwhile yer warm ;)

ok, so I had heating for a couple of hours last night, but not this morning :(

I noticed again last night that the pressure gauge showed low(0.8), so topped it up(1.5). This morning it's showing low again(1), and coincidentally, no heating. Could I have a leak in the CH system?

Also, if it is the crappy stat, can you recommend a suitable alternative that isn't just a timer unit, maybe one that incorporates a wireless room stat?

thanks again.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back