Adding a window and making window deeper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to have double glazing fitted, my question is

do I require planning permission or any other permissions to

a) make a window deeper, currently I have a bathroom window thats 46" x 22" and I want to make it 46" x 40"

b) install a window into a bedroom that has very little natural light, the window would face woodlands and not overlook neighbours highways etc.

I have looked at various websites but can not find an answer that makes sense. The man who is going to install the windows says "no worries mate"

But I want to make sure its all above board before starting.

Help and advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Man who says "No worries" had better worry. You either need building control approval before you start, or he has to be FENSA registered, otherwise BOTH of you will commit a criminal offence. If someone said that to me, he wouldn't be doing the job. If he had told me the facts and we decided to chance it that's one thing, but giving garbage because he hasn't a clue........? What else hasn't he got a clue about?

Firstly YOU should enquire with the planning dept at your local council to see if planning permission. (i say you rather than your builder so you are certain and not receiving info second hand - plenty of unscrupulous people around willing to do a job and leave you to sort out any subsequent problems)

Secondly even if the window fitter is registered with FENSA you will need to make an application to Building Control at your local council as you will be altering the structure- ie new lintel for opening. (FENSA only covers replacement windows into existing openings-not chopping new holes in existing walls)You will need a completion certificate when the works are complete

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies you have been a great help. I feel a lot better now I am armed with some info. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back