adding an additional ceiling light

LdA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
*nevermind* It works the way I thought. Just a loose wire making it not work. I knew it couldn't be as complicated as I'd feared!

This has been asked quite a few times, but for some reason I'm just not understanding any of the answers so I'm hoping asking again will get yet another answer and all will become clear. :)

I have a single ceiling light "hole". From the ceiling are two neutral wires, a ground and one live. It's pretty obvious how to connect one lamp to those wires (because there was a working lamp there before), but I can't figure out how to add a second lamp.

Is there a diagram somewhere? I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find one.

Sponsored Links
Image the existing lamp with very long wires. long enough put it where you want the second lamp but without disconnecting anything. That is how to wire the new lamp.

Now to that picture add a lamp connected exactly as the present lamp is connected to be where the present lamp is now.

In other words

the live from the new lamp connects to the same place as the live on the existing lamp,

the neutral from the new lamp connects to the same place as the neutral on the existing lamp

The earth on the new lamp connects to the same place as the earth on the existing lamp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back