Adding an extra socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently redecorating the spare room, moving radiators, light switches and adding sockets.

I have wired the new switch in fine and mounted the new sockets. I can't work on wiring the sockets yet as my burglar alarm backup battery is dead and it's on the socket ring.

Anyway, there is currently one socket in the room. However it only has 1 cable running to it. The cable leads to a 3 way junction box, am I right in thinking that it is likely the socket is spurred off the ring?

And if I am planning to add another socket could I not just remove the junction box and add both sockets to the ring?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes that's the most likely but it could be a radial circuit.your best option would be to replace the existing socket with a FCU and supply all your additional sockets from that the total load will be restricted to 13a. This is the safest way to add your sockets without having test kit to check ring wiring.

Kind regards,

DS

Cheers guys. I have the battery -picked it up earlier.

If I use a FCU in place of the original sockets how do I route to the 2 doubles I am adding?

Sponsored Links
On this site's guide regarding adding sockets it states that if 1 cable is going to the socket then it is already a spur and cannot be used to spur off again... I get that. But if it is fed from a junction box am I allowed to change it from being a spur to having 2 additional on the ring?

On this site's guide regarding adding sockets it states that if 1 cable is going to the socket then it is already a spur and cannot be used to spur off again... I get that. But if it is fed from a junction box am I allowed to change it from being a spur to having 2 additional on the ring?

Yes, of course, incorporate it into the ring with the new sockets, and that's the best way of doing it. Using an FCU to supply all your new sockets is a stupid idea as you are restricted to 13 amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back