Adding ASHP to existing UFH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed whole house UFH fed from a Vaillant Combi (937) during a whole house refurb. This is working splendidly but having now seen the latest info on RHI I'm thinking of adding a small ASHP to heat the house during the autumn and spring shoulder times of the heating season when the air temperatures are not at their lowest. During the coldest weather I would intend the boiler to top up the heat requirement. Expensive install I know but the RHI wasn't known when I started the projsect!

The heating system has a LL header to separate two UFH manifolds (with pumps) and a separate radiator circuit (with pump) supplying towel rads in the cloaks and two bathrooms where UFH on its own is inadequate due to small floor areas in those rooms. There are spare flow and return connections available on the header.

Several manufacturers including Vaillant have systems available to do this plus the controls to operate the system. I know it needs MCS involvement to be able to gain the RHI tarriffs.

I don't intend the ASHP to be 100% sized but rather enough for the spring/autumn heat demand.

I may even leave the DHW solely supplied by the combi as it has proven to be economical.

Has anyone any experience of adding an ASHP to an existing system, ie creating a hybrid system?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back