adding earth to old kitchen appliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an old (1970s?) kenwood chef passed on to me a few years ago by a relative helping a neighbour with a house clearance - it must have once been the pride of someone's kitchen. It looks like this: http://www.museumofcroydon.com/ixbin/indexplus?record=CAT4763

It works fine, has all it's parts, and I've had some pretty good use out of it including the annual Christmas Cake ritual, and a new one would be £200+ so it's quite a result!

It has, however been niggling me that it is almost entirely made of metal and only has a 2 core flex, and I can't see it being Class II. Would it be straightforward to add an earth - like rewire with a 3 core flex, make a hole in the metal casing and bolt the earth to it? Or is it more complicated than that?

Sponsored Links
Straightforward?

It would obviously be straightforward to do as you say but would it do any good?

Can these metal parts become live?
Would it earth ALL the relevant parts, i.e. parts which may become live and the parts which may be next to them but not actually attached.

If it is not meant to be earthed then you may be making the situation worse.

Earthing is not a good thing in itself; it is a necessary evil applied when other methods of shock-prevention are not available.
Does it have the square within a square
upload_2016-5-24_16-9-5.png
double insulated symbol?

So - don't really know. Have you a model number? - if information would be available from the 70s.

Sponsored Links
If it was constructed like that in the 70s, they probably knew what they were doing.

If it was from the 1930s you might have something to worry about.

The capacitors used in it will be well past their best, replace them now before they pop/melt/give off large amounts of smoke.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back