Fitting a metal chandelier that isn't earthed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

This my first post so apologies if im posting in the wrong place etc etc.

Recently I had a metal chandelier given to me from my parents. They bought it from an antique shop. It looks like an old metal chandelier that has been rewired (it has plastic cable ties securing some of the wires so obviously new wiring but definitely an old chandelier).

My issue is the flex from the business end only has live and neutral wires inside the sheath. There is no earth or terminals just the end of the flex with live and neutral. In the shop the guy had the end of the flex wired to a plug (with earth connection not connected) and plugged in to show how they looked lit up! Ive since taken off the plug.

As the wiring appears retro fitted to an old metal chandelier I have no idea if it is double insulated etc etc but I imagine not. Is there anyway of fitting your own earth to the metal frame like you get on bath tubs and central heathing pipes that I can then connect to the earth in the existing ceiling rose? Is this safe?

Cheers

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Is there anyway of fitting your own earth to the metal frame like you get on bath tubs and central heathing pipes that I can then connect to the earth in the existing ceiling rose? Is this safe?
I doubt it and almost certainly not.

You wouldn't be sure that your connection was OK, and you wouldn't be sure if all the various parts of the chandelier were soundly connected together.

Really the item should not have been sold and the seller should be reported to TSO - his products could kill someone.

If you are determined to keep it and use it then you'll have to convert it to use ELV lamps and run it off a SELV supply.

Thanks for that.

I'll probably bin it, shame though its a nice light. I'll give the guy a ring and if he doesn't have any decent reasons or can prove to me its safe I probably will report it. I didnt actually meet the fella but I understand hes an old boy....probably makes a nice turn electrifying antique lighting, maybe not knowing the issues. We'll see...

Hi guys,

This my first post so apologies if im posting in the wrong place etc etc.

Recently I had a metal chandelier given to me from my parents. They bought it from an antique shop. It looks like an old metal chandelier that has been rewired (it has plastic cable ties securing some of the wires so obviously new wiring but definitely an old chandelier).

My issue is the flex from the business end only has live and neutral wires inside the sheath. There is no earth or terminals just the end of the flex with live and neutral. In the shop the guy had the end of the flex wired to a plug (with earth connection not connected) and plugged in to show how they looked lit up! Ive since taken off the plug.

As the wiring appears retro fitted to an old metal chandelier I have no idea if it is double insulated etc etc but I imagine not. Is there anyway of fitting your own earth to the metal frame like you get on bath tubs and central heathing pipes that I can then connect to the earth in the existing ceiling rose? Is this safe?

Cheers

Bruce

If you know what you are doing and have some basic test equipment you should be able to rewire it with T&E.

Sponsored Links
I'll probably bin it,
You can't probably bin it and probably report it - TSO will want it.

I didnt actually meet the fella but I understand hes an old boy....probably makes a nice turn electrifying antique lighting, maybe not knowing the issues. We'll see...
Sadly the consequences of him not knowing the issues could be fatal.

I don't want to see him punished, but if he is knocking out flaky electrical goods he needs to be stopped. Maybe some visits from TSO will clarify the situation for him - I don't suppose they'll wade in with a prosecution if no harm has yet been done.

And caveat emptor - buying electrical goods which are not CE marked, BEAB approved etc is really rather foolish.

Last time I looked in my local "antique" shop there was a dislaimer notice about electrical goods.

Something like
"Electrical stuff sold here is for decoration purposes only"

If you are handy then a hour or two would sort this.

Break down the metal sections, rough up the metal that joins, fit star washers to bite. Rebuild.

Check all the metal case has continuity from bulb fitting / lamp area to base. Once this is done fit an earth wire via lug or clamp between metal base (or metal main arm and cpc (earth) from supply cable.

There's many 1000's of old , valuable chandellers that weren't earthed (it wasn't a requirement in the 1900's) and it's stupid to imply that all will simply be thrown away due to lack of safety earth to the metal parts.

If it is that nice and you can't be bothered- send me a PM and picture and I'll take it off you and adapt it and sell it on :LOL:

His point is the T&E bit.

I have never, ever seen the internal wiring of a light fitting carried out with solid conductor twin and earth cable.

Flexible, heat resistant cable is most usual.

If you are going to give advice on a DIY forum then its best you give correct advice.

one option might be to replace the lamp holders with holders with earth terminals and wire these together and onto the earth in the supply

The previous advice about heat resistance insulation is good advice,

His point is the T&E bit.

I have never, ever seen the internal wiring of a light fitting carried out with solid conductor twin and earth cable.

Flexible, heat resistant cable is most usual.

If you are going to give advice on a DIY forum then its best you give correct advice.

Same advice could be given to the person who said (throw it away) it could not be done. I never gave any advice (deliberately) just stated that it could be done with test equipment. OK! the T&E was a bad choice of words which could have been corrected without the sarcasm.

cumbriahandyman said:
OK! the T&E was a bad choice of words which could have been corrected without the sarcasm.

Persons of delicate disposition should refrain from posting bad advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back