Wiring A chandelier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am in the process of hanging and wiring a chandelier.

I have managed hang the chandelier but I have no idea about electrics and so this is where my question lies.

There was a standard ceiling rose + light which I have removed but kept.

Should I wire the chandelier through the existing ceiling rose or can i just join the cable from the chandelier to the cable from the ceiling (both cables have live, neutral and earth wires) using a 15A terminal block.

Sponsored Links
If you are able to hang the chandelier without disturbing the ceiling rose, then do so. You don't need the white cover or the flex - just wire straight into the flex terminals on the rose backplate.

Normally the hanging bracket on a chandelier obstructs the rose, so it has to be removed.

In this case, use 5A terminal blocks for your connections and secure them inside the chandelier top housing. If there's not enough room, then you can put the terminal blocks inside a Choc Box and then push it into the ceiling void.

Don't forget to connect the earth wire to the chandelier earth terminal, if it has one.

Thanks all makes sense.

Ceiling rose will not fit with chandelier hanger and no hole to push choc box through ceiling so will go out and get a 5A terminal block and leave it in the chandelier housing.

Not seen seperate earth terminal for chandelier but will have another look.

Thanks for your help.

If your chandelier has no earth terminal, then look for this double-square symbol which shows that an earth connection is not required.

If the chandelier has the double-square symbol, then connect the earth wire to a terminal block on its own.

Sponsored Links
When one talks about chandelier I envisage the type used in Phantom of the Opera being a very heavy unit and likely to be removed for cleaning not only fools and horses style though.

In which case it is likely to need disconnecting a few times in it's life and a unit like this
ASPCR2000.JPG
or will be required.

Much will depend on the weight I think 5Kg is max on hook but it refers to a suspension loop taking up to 15Kg not really sure what one is?

As to the Class II the sign is
ClassII.jpg
maybe you can give us more details on chandelier a picture would be nice.

A few of the chandeliers I have hung for people have been hung from a hook in a joist with a flex taken to the existing ceiling rose a few inches from the chandelier.

It avoids any major work in the ceiling rose and ensures a strong secure support for the chandelier.

It looks horrific if you ask me, a piece of flex looping from a ceiling rose (or wall outlet place) to a fitting :rolleyes: Better to move the fitting or the rose and if there's nothing solid to fix to then put in a noggin. Usually it seems to be done because the owner or sparky cannot be bothered to do the extra wiring, rather than a lack of support in the ceiling.

I did a chandelier which has a hand winch in the loft to lower it down for cleaning. :)

It had a safety cable attached which also acted as a dead stop ;)

Remember one of my first domestic jobs in a posh house. Type of place where you are made to wear plastic covers over your boots and clean overalls. And gloves to handle the lights. They had these chandeliers not to big but still about 250 a peace, I moved the ceeling rose and hung them both from joists. Was not taking any chances. Me up the ladder and my boss under me with a matress! Sweat was pouring off us when we finished. Nurves shot to peaces. 3 weeks later we go back there moving to take them down and nearly dropped one, the slack on the twin and earth acted as a dead stop. Nearly brown trouser times as that would have been out of my wages!

Mean s*d.

Should have (had it come to the crunch) come out of PLI, not your pocket.

Glad I didn't have your boss...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back