Chandelier: Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

Have bought a chandelier. Have managed to sort out wiring etc. Just need to hang the thing and attach final wiring from chandelier to junction box.

There is no hook to attach the chandelier to the joists. There seems to be a bell and bar with 2 screws that seem to screw into the plasterboard ceiling. Aware this will not be strong enough so looking to screw or hook into joist.

My problem is that that the ceiling rose is slightly away from the ceiling. I can't increase this. This means the attachment to secure to joists will not be flush. Also no real means to secure a hook?

Any ideas on how I might secure this thing. There is a joist just above the hole but if I secure it to the joist it will not be flush because of gap between ceiling rose opening and ceiling.

Ta

Sponsored Links
Its quite common to do away with the ceiling rose.
Using connector blocks that get concealed within the dome bit that pushes up to cover the fixing bar.

Sponsored Links
electrics:lighting:replacingceilingrose0lq.gif

Please do NOT cover anything in insulation tape. Not necessary and just makes a nasty mess.

There is an alternative.

Fix the chandelier to the joist and then have a short flexible lead to the existing ceiling rose.

My opinion is to use a lead with a colour that contrasts to the ceiling.

Some will says it looks naff. But I don't having seen it done that way in many houses in Germany and France.

Thanks all.

I've uploaded a few photos to see if that helps. Whats not clear in the photos is that the ceiling rose is raised and sits a bit away from the ceiling. This means the chandelier bell will not sit flush. If I screw it to the joist the bell will sit flush with the ceiling rose but not the joist. Bit concerned that this will not be strong enough. Maybe it is?

Use screws long enough to go through the rose and into the joist.
If possible put a wooden nogging above the rose if the joist is not there.

Generally its no good screwing into the plaster rose, or even rawlplugs in the rose.

As long as you get a good fixing into something above it. and the heads are big enough not to pull through the slots ( fit washers if neccesary).
No 8 screws or even No10 ones should do.
You just tighten enough to clamp the bar against the rose.
If you can get into wood above by about 12mm then the threads will take the weight.
That should hold an average size chandelier,

If need be nibble out the rose for the wires, but not in excess of what the bell will cover and leave enough of the rose for the bar to tighten on to.

Do take time to fit the bar as that will denote how the thing hangs and will obviously look better centred.

To be honest that bar type, is better for a flat rose, as yours is, sculptured you may find it a bit awkward.
You may need to use filler to level out round the centre within the width of the bar first, as the bar is likely to just pull into the hole and cause you to struggle to fit the cover
That bar needs to be flat for the cover to fit.

you will struggle to put that dome into place, the screws on the side will be obstructed by the plaster rose?

right i have done this. 2 long screws into the joists. One final question. I have an earth wire from the bell. I presume this just connects to the rest of the earth wires?

Thanks,

yes it does,
The main earth in the flex should earth the main part of the fitting, and the short link sometimes just earths the Bell bit.
So just join all the earths together within the housing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back