Replacing Ceiling Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace hall and stair landing ceiling lights. Upstairs landing light is currently a standard flex and bulb socket type, but there is also an ornamental ceiling rose attached to the ceiling, with the flex coming out through a hole in the plaster/polystyrene ceiling rose.

The ground floor hallway ceiling light is a chandelier style, with a metal hook arrangement, which also has an ornamental ceiling rose attached to the ceiling, obviously with a hole cut in the rose to allow the metal hook and ring piece to protrude through.

Question is, how to now fit new Chandelier style light fittings - the ones that come with a bracket/fixing strip that would normally sit flush with the ceiling plasterboard?

Downstairs I could utilise the existing Ring and Hook and just re-wire my light fitting to the existing Lighting Flex with one of those small joining/junction blocks - although you would be able to see this.

If I could be confident that there was a wooden block above the existing light positions I could drill up through the Ceiling Rose, through the Ceiling, and fix to that.....

Help!

Sponsored Links
It's been known for simple pendant fittings to have no support other than a pair of screws fixed to the p/board.

With the extra weight of your new fittings it is essential to make sure that the fixing supports the weight of the lamp fitting.

Unfortunately you will need to acces the area under the 1st floor where the cables are and check for a suitable noggin or wood stud / baton / joist to fix to.

You might get away with a few test holes in to the ceiling with a bradle to 'find' wood to screw on, but since the cable will / could be run in the area- the floor board lift up on the 1st floor is the prudent and safe method.
Since at some point the cable had to be laid in you are 97% likely to find a cut floor board (easy to lift) above the light position on the 1st floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back