How should I earth a metal pendant light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a metal indoor lantern pendant light, with three core flex, supplied with an extra piece of earth flex with a ring connector. The pendant light I am replacing is plastic. No problem connecting the live and neutral wires to the ceiling rose (they go where the old ones were). But I am not sure where the earth goes, either from the new lamp flex, or the extra piece of flex supplied.

The existing plastic ceiling rose has a bare earth wire neatly connected up to the earth terminal in the rose. Does this help?

I intended to leave the transparent plastic rose fitting in place as it is fixed to the ceiling with two screws that will line up nicely with holes in my new metal rose, if I use longer screws, from which I can suspend the hook for the new light fitting.

Can someone explain to me how to earth this light fitting?

Sponsored Links
If the light fitting has been supplied with an earth (CPC) tail, I can only assume it is not a double insulated fitting, therefor with it being metallic it must be connected to earth.
Does the fitting have a terminal block inside that is connected to earth or a termination point for the earth on the metallic casing?
This can then be linked up to the earth cables at the ceiling rose.
Has the fitting come with fitting instructions, if so what do they instruct you to do?
If you upload a picture of the cables and terminals within the fitting it could help.

If its how im picturing it then you will alrady have an earth in your plastic cielling rose witch you are leaving up so you would either remove from plastic 1 and place in the metal 1 or add an additional earth wire from your plastic 1 to your metal 1 and im assuming that its a 3 way connector block that has a small piece of metal attached to the light so that would complete your earthing.

Sponsored Links
The ring connector is usually pre-fitted under the stem securing nut of the pendant fitting. If not then you will need to fit it yourself by removing the nut, flat washer and shakeproof washer. Place the ring over the stem followed by the flat washer then the shakeproof washer, finally securing all together with the nut which must be tight. Both cpc's, (fly lead and flex earth), should then be connected into the earth block of the ceiling rose to complete the circuit with the fixed wiring cpc.

The ring connector is usually pre-fitted under the stem securing nut of the pendant fitting. If not then you will need to fit it yourself by removing the nut, flat washer and shakeproof washer. Place the ring over the stem followed by the flat washer then the shakeproof washer, finally securing all together with the nut which must be tight. Both cpc's, (fly lead and flex earth), should then be connected into the earth block of the ceiling rose to complete the circuit with the fixed wiring cpc.

Great advice, many thanks - there is no connector block, and no need to use one as I understand it, this is a junctionbox type rose and so I'll earth the lantern as described above using the CPC and wire all the earths to the earth terminal in the existing ceiling rose.

Grand job.
:D

The earth in the flex is likely to earth the fitting
The earth with the ring usually earths the top cover only and usually found when the fitting hangs by a chain from the seperate top cover and this earth ring fits under the nut holding the hook.

Both of these earths usuallly connect together with the earths of the house wiring

Hi, I'm replying to an old thread as it was the closest I could find to answering my problem (although I'm sure it has been asked since). I have a metal light with the usual two wires, plus an earth coming from the flex cable, plus an earth connected to the metal casing separately. Do I need to attach those two earths to each other and then to the earth coming from the ceiling?
1497700392967-192042790.jpg
1497700456488536231912.jpg

Thanks

By leaving the plastic patress on, you do realise the fitting will not fit flush to the ceiling

I do, yes, thanks. I had to cut the metal bracket into three and discard the middle bit as it was from another light and was too wide, so wanted to check the holes I had cut were in the right place.

Can I just screw the two earth wires from the light into the metal bit where the green/blue wire from the ceiling is attached or should I use a plastic connector block?

Either really, if they will all go in that earth post fitted to the plastic patress thats fine, earth terminals do not need to be insulated.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back