Fitting ceiling pendant with metal rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment there is a regular plastic rose and cable. Would like to replace with pendant light that has a metal rose fitting. I imagine I have to replace the plastic rose and use some other way to connect up the wires. What is the product to use that replicates the connectors in the old rose?
Before anyone asks, the wiring is twin core + earth.

Sponsored Links
Insulated terminal blocks ,or wago connectors to name two options. Is there an earth conductor at the existing rose ?

Sponsored Links
No . Show us a pic of your new fitting. Most have some kind of baseplate that can house the connections

You can, providing the Wagos are inside an enclosure. Wagobox would be a good choice.
A Wagobox would require quite a sizeable hole in the ceiling (and might not leave too much 'ceiling' to attach the rose to), wouldn't it? It's a bit different from pushing JBs etc through the (fairly large) hole created for a downlight.
But there should be enough room inside the ceiling rose cover.
Indeed, there usually would be.

Kind Regards, John

I used one of these
LDMC11C.JPG
it has the same connections as any standard ceiling rose, the reason for it was I found holding a weight up while connecting all the wires hard, so this allowed all the connections to be made with no weight both on ceiling and on the floor with the chandelier then simple lift up and plug in, also available in polished brass
LDMC11A.JPG
and it also means the chandelier weight is on the chain not the cable.

In theory all ceiling roses will take a weight of 5 kg (559.6.1.5 Fixing of the luminaire) although I would not like to test it with many homes. I would not want to hang 5 kg from a flex, and with one of my lamps there is a load capacitor inside the cover which the ceiling rose shown does not have the room for.

Also available in white.

I used those in 2 of my rooms, they were sold off at B&Q once so I got them cheapo.
Knowing how good they are I'd happily pay full price for them now, fitting was a lot easier not having to hold the fitting while screwing to the ceiling.

Although they are no use when using a metal fitting with a baseplate.

This is the wagobox, but it does take a large hole to get it up there.
Surely someone could come up with something smaller for this situation? perhaps torpedo shaped?

It was a joke, a play on the fact that we were talking about the load in Kg on 0.75 flex and a load capacitor.

I used those in 2 of my rooms, they were sold off at B&Q once so I got them cheapo.
Knowing how good they are I'd happily pay full price for them now, fitting was a lot easier not having to hold the fitting while screwing to the ceiling.
I have a lot of them (brass ones) in my house, installed 30+ years ago (when I moved in) - when I, too, bought a large 'job lot' at a very good price.

As you say, they are excellent. I don't only use them on ceilings, as intended, but also on walls for uplighters...

upload_2021-3-21_14-28-13.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back