Where to connect the fly earth on metal pendant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a new light fitting with a metal rose. There is a flex cable with live, neutral and earth. These cables all enter a terminal block. There is also an additional fly earth which is secured against the metal rose.

image.jpg

Where does the other end of the fly earth go? Can it share the same terminal as the flex earth from the light fitting?

image.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Yes. exactly as you have done, but make sure both earths are caught by the screw on one side of the terminal block

Thanks! Sure - so just got to make sure that the two earths from the light fitting are secured in place on one side of the terminal block. Then in the terminal directly opposite to that I need to secure the earth coming out of the ceiling with the other screw?

Is the fly earth good to go in as-is, or does it need crimping?

image.jpg

might pay to cut off the exposed copper and strip some a bit longer to ensure it is held by the screw, it doesnt look like it will be in that state. It wont matter if you strip it it a bit longer such that it ends up getting held by both screws in the terminal ie held by the screw having the fitting earth in it and held by the screw holding the earth from the cable from the ceiling,if that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
Yes makes sense. So not to worry if I strip the cable back further and the exposed copper runs from one end of the earth terminal to the other where the earth enters from the ceiling. Got it! I was wondering whether you needed to crimp a ferrule onto it? You don’t think that’s needed?

Last edited:
if you have a ferrule it wont hurt to use it but not necessary. (if ferruled? would both earths still fit in the terminal block?)

I don’t think it would have, I just twisted the copper together to minimise fraying. Thanks for your help with this. I managed to get the fitting wired up and installed and it looks great!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back