Homebase Metal pendant...earth issue?

This holder is metal but is isolated by a plastic sleeve, however my issue is that supposing the wires that are connected to the holder were to become detached or are not fitted correctly at manufacture or the flex clamp screw had been overtightened (there is no way to check or tighten the wiring inside the holder, it's all done at the factory prior to assembly.) They could touch the metal outer skin of the bulb holder.
Add to this the fact that there is a rotating on/off switch on the holder meaning that you would be touching the holder each time you turn the light on or off.
Do you have an electric drill or other similar tools which are intended to be hand-held?

Is this normal construction or should all the metal parts be earthed (cpc?)?
Class 2 is considered a suitable, indeed superior, method of protection and the metal parts must not be earthed.

Earthing is not a good thing in itself. It is a necessary evil when the only method of protection by disconnecting the supply before you get a shock.

Sponsored Links
It (the ceiling cup) obviously isn't as it will contain single insulated wires and connectors and has an earth connection.
My bad, I assumed you were saying that the entire fitting wasn't class 2. The cup part isn't, as you say it has single insulated wiring. The holder wiring is double insulated but it's the connection inside the holder that bothers me as it is not visible or accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back