BA22d bulb, is it class II?

If all BA22d lamp holders were Class II then there would be no problem, however I have selected this example Clearly some bulb holders do have a connection for the earth as seen ...
That's obviously true, but I don't think it makes any difference to the question you posed - since whether or not a B22 bulb/'lamp' should or should not bear a Class II marking is a 'standalone' question which has nothing to do with what it is (or may be) plugged into.

... by analogy, say, a Class II 'walwart' should have the Class II marking (relating to itself), regardless of whether it is plugged into a metal or plastic socket.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That's obviously true, but I don't think it makes any difference to the question you posed - since whether or not a B22 bulb/'lamp' should or should not bear a Class II marking is a 'standalone' question which has nothing to do with what it is (or may be) plugged into.

... by analogy, say, a Class II 'walwart' should have the Class II marking (relating to itself), regardless of whether it is plugged into a metal or plastic socket.

Kind Regards, John
I have in the past had problems with computers, the computer power supply has its label hidden once fitted, and often there is a spare in the box so it can be fitted on the computer case.

However when PAT testing one does not know if that sticker is for the original power supply or any replacement power supply, so you don't know if the installed power supply is an isolating type without opening the PC so don't know if mouse should be class II or class III, or anything else plugged into a port, since unlikely the power supply does not isolate we assume all OK, and it is the same with bulbs, we assume they are OK but there is nothing to confirm OK.

However I have not heard of a single event where some one has been burnt or worse from an electric shock from a computer, however there have been reports of live wires on the surface of cob style LED light bulbs. Up to now we have had the Chinese Export marking CE on bulbs, which should indicate the bulb complies with EU standards, however once we leave, there will be no requirement for the CE mark as we will not have any connection with EU standards, so we need now to have international markings on items to show if safe for use intended.

However I have not heard of a single event where some one has been burnt or worse from an electric shock from a computer,
What do you deduce from that?

Up to now we have had the Chinese Export marking CE on bulbs, which should indicate the bulb complies with EU standards,
I think you are joking, but...

however once we leave, there will be no requirement for the CE mark as we will not have any connection with EU standards,
Unless the Government states that it will still apply.

Although, if unscrupulous suppliers fraudulantly mark their products with CE, how do you know so what good is it?

... and it is the same with bulbs, we assume they are OK but there is nothing to confirm OK
Is there not something in the Standard(s) applying to bulbs/'lamps' that requires them to be 'fit (and safe) for the normal purpose' if they are compliant with the Standard(s)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Having just had a look at the cheapo B22 LEDs 'on my shelf', a lot of them look like the below, and I therefore wonder whether there could/would be any reason to think of them as 'Class I'. The only external metal is the small 'ring' - and, if one assumes that the underlying plastic is regarded as providing adequate insulation, there would be no point/need to earth that ring (even if it weren't a 'silly idea'), would there?

upload_2019-4-4_17-5-11.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back