Hanging a heavy chandelier

Sorry about double post - bad timing on my behalf!

I suspect that you are missing the key part - a bracket to screw onto the joist that you would then hang the eye inside the cup onto.

If you can't devise a homemade solution then you need to either

a) Contact the supplier of the fitting or
b) Start visiting lighting shops/reclamation yards

to find a suitable fitting

to my mind something like this screwed to a joist would be enough to support the relatively light weights you have

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hardware-solutions-hook-on-plate-zinc-plated-m6/92396

Sponsored Links
What's at the top of the tube in your second picture?
Here's a pic...
If that ring at the top of the tube is rigidly attached to (i.e. screwed into, or similar), the tube, I would think that you'd be able to hang the fitting by that ring from a suitable hook firmly screwed into a joist.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Then you will need a good quality screw hook. Like here:
Unfortunately most seem to stop at 5Kg and are expensive.
http://www.kingschandeliers.co.uk/chandelier-parts-and-accessories/9[/QUOTE]
I'm not surely one necessarily needs anything as fancy (and expensive) as that. I would have thought that any decent-sized common-or-garden hook screwed into the joist would easily carry 10kg (or, alternatively, perhaps one with a plate like that linked by newboy - although I'd personally prefer to have the hook itself screwing into the ceiling). I think the low (5kg) limit of many of the 'fancy' ones is that they are attached to the ceiling by rather pathetic little screws.

Kind Regards, John

It looks like this solution fits the bill if it takes a 10kg load. The screwfix website doesn't specify how much weight the hook can take
I don't think they could really specify. The hook/fitting itself is clearly capable of supporting a lot more than 10kg. Whether, in use, it would support a 10kg load satisfactory will therefore be entirely dependent upon how it is attached to ceiling joist (and,of course, the condition of the joist!).

Kind Regards, John

Isn't it better to have the load supported by four screws of which length and thread you can determine yourself, than the single thread of a self tapping hook?

Isn't it better to have the load supported by four screws of which length and thread you can determine yourself, than the single thread of a self tapping hook?
Possibly - it's swings and roundabouts. It really depends upon what size screws one can get through the holes in the plate (without drilling the holes bigger!) - one decent-sized thread could be better than four much smaller (and also 'self-tapping') ones. In any event, I think we're maybe getting over-excited - 10kg is not asking much of almost any type of reasonable attachment to wood - even a reasonable length smooth nail would probably not pull out with 10kg!

Kind Regards, John

to my mind something like this screwed to a joist would be enough to support the relatively light weights you have
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hardware-solutions-hook-on-plate-zinc-plated-m6/92396[/QUOTE]
I have fitted this product before and it will hold a very heavy load and certainly a 10kg chandelier.
However, be aware that it is 65mm² square and much bigger than the picture shows - you will need to measure the inside of the cup to ensure it fits.
Wickes do one slightly smaller :
http://www.wickes.co.uk/hook-on-plate-galvanised-50x50mm/invt/188187/

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have fitted this product before and it will hold a very heavy load and certainly a 10kg chandelier. However, be aware that it is 65mm² square and much bigger than the picture shows - you will need to measure the inside of the cup to ensure it fits. ... Wickes do one slightly smaller : ...
My main concern with either of these plate-attached hooks is that ceiling joists are often (probably usually, these days!) only around 2"/50mm wide. Without adding additional wood to the joist (which would make it into a much bigger and more disruptive job), I would assume that one wouldn't be able to get the four screws of a 65mm x 65mm into such a joist, and that even with the Wickes' 50mm x 50mm one, positioning would be very critical and, even then, all the screws would probably be perilously close to the edge of the joist.

Kind Regards, John

Normal engineering practice would be to stick in the hook, then hang a load twice the required load on this hook. If it holds then the hook is good to go.

Multiple bricks or engineering blocks are good.

(To my surprise a single layer of duck tape will support a whole engineering block.)

Normal engineering practice would be to stick in the hook, then hang a load twice the required load on this hook. If it holds then the hook is good to go.
Indeed, and simple hook with a 6mm (or probably even 4mm) thread of reasonable length, screwed into softwood, will almost certainly show itself to be capable of supporting many dozens of kg.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back