Hanging a heavy chandelier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to hang a new chandelier. It didn't come with a bracket. The existing light in screwed into the ceiling plasterboard but the new light is too heavy for it. I am guessing that I need a round junction box that will allow me to fasten it to the joist as well as connect the wires coming in from the loft and hang the chandelier. What do I need to complete the job. I will be grateful if you could post links as well. Ta very much

Sponsored Links
The chandelier should have come with its own fixtures, fitting and instructions - you should follow them.
You will probably need to attach the light to one of your joists and run your cables alongside the joist and into the top of the chandelier if the top is big enough to take the cables. If not then you will need to put the cables into a chocbox and push it into the ceiling void.

You will probably need to attach the light to one of your joists and run your cables alongside the joist and into the top of the chandelier if the top is big enough to take the cables.
Thanks. Unfortunately there are no instructions. How do I attach the chandelier tot he joist. Do I screw a hook into the joist

There are chandaliers and chandeliers.

How heavy is it? Does it have a chain or a metal bracket and rod?

A picture may help.

Sponsored Links
You will probably need to attach the light to one of your joists and run your cables alongside the joist and into the top of the chandelier if the top is big enough to take the cables.
Thanks. Unfortunately there are no instructions. How do I attach the chandelier tot he joist. Do I screw a hook into the joist
The problem is I cannot see the chandelier and each one will have a different method of installation.
Some will just attach to a hook in the ceiling and the cable wraps around the hook and the chain, others come with a cap that covers the hook and cables.
So yes you could screw a hook into the joist - it obviously needs to be long enough to go through the plasterboard and a good way into the joist itself.
It will also need to be big enough to take the weight of the light fitting itself.
Whatever you do you do not want the light fitting to rely on the cable for support.

Unfortunately there are no instructions. How do I attach the chandelier tot he joist. Do I screw a hook into the joist
You are the one with the chandelier, not us.

You know how heavy it is, not us.

You can see what kind of hooks or brackets or chains or rods etc could attach to it, not us.

If your general mechanical, tool-using, problem-solving nous is so lacking that you can't work out how best to do it, then you need to get someone in who can.

There should be a metal bracket in the cup that attaches to the ceiling - is it missing?

Unfortunately there are no instructions. How do I attach the chandelier tot he joist. Do I screw a hook into the joist
You are the one with the chandelier, not us.

You know how heavy it is, not us.

You can see what kind of hooks or brackets or chains or rods etc could attach to it, not us.

If your general mechanical, tool-using, problem-solving nous is so lacking that you can't work out how best to do it, then you need to get someone in who can.

You are the one choosing to read questions on a DIY advice forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back