Installing a heavy chandelier with a Y shaped bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

The other half has this chandelier which wants hanging. Replacing another chandelier.

It's really quite heavy. each bulb shade it very thick metal. Not thin metal or glass. Quite thick metal.

It looks like it comes with a bracket. I think it's a bracket. It came as it. no mounting instructions or hardware. It's from Turkey so can't expect much.

Any ideas really. There are three holes there which I could put a flat head screw threw of about 2.5"-3" into the truss. Though one arm will maybe require me to install a block in between the trusses? I reckon that's what's needed. Am I on the right track?

It's not really the right kind of fixture for where it will sit....but try telling that to other half.

20230916_174246.jpg
20230916_173137.jpg
20230916_173112.jpg

Sponsored Links
1694883601386.png

What a weird picture. It looks like one of those optical illusions.

It's not really the right kind of fixture for where it will sit....but try telling that to other half.
Maybe - but let her fit it if she wants to.

I would fit a piece of plywood between the joists. Then the bracket can screw into it.

To fix the plywood I would cut it to just fit between the joists. Then I would screw through some scrap wood or batten to both the ply plate and the joist.

I fitted this 20220529_211956.jpg above my stairs, or at least my son did, it likely needs some wood adding in the loft, clearly not connected to plaster board, but as long as mine has one good screw into wood it is unlikely to fall off the ceiling.
p
We have all watched only fools and horses with the chandelier, but can't see yours being that heavy, standard ceiling rose is suppose to be able to support 5 kg (559.6.1.5) not that I think they all would, but what you show does not seem that big.

P.S. like the bike.

Sponsored Links
I fitted this View attachment 314175 above my stairs, or at least my son did, it likely needs some wood adding in the loft, clearly not connected to plaster board, but as long as mine has one good screw into wood it is unlikely to fall off the ceiling.
p
We have all watched only fools and horses with the chandelier, but can't see yours being that heavy, standard ceiling rose is suppose to be able to support 5 kg (559.6.1.5) not that I think they all would, but what you show does not seem that big.

P.S. like the bike.
Eagle eyed I see. :)

Your son's light is lovely. What my wife chose is ... well... not as nice if I am honest and probably taller.

It's far more than 4kg. Probably around 10-12kg I reckon. I might have some scrap 4" wood around somewhere I can fit between the trusses and screw into that. The other two screws I can line up with the truss so that's it's fully solid.

I was thinking an alternative was on one side using a toggle bolt. Does anyone think that would be enough?

cheers.

My light, son fitted it, I told wife no way would I fit that, so she asked my son. But yours seems far heavier and I would not want to fit that. I did add a relay so I can select 1, 4 or 5 lamps, centre lamp colour changing Centre_bulb_colours.jpg wife not keen on the red option says its giving the wrong signals!

Get up in the loft and find where the joists are and screw fix noggins between them in line with the fixing holes. Use dowel screws, one end wood screw which fit in the joists/noggins and one end machine screws which fit through the fixing holes into nuts and washers beneath.

If the light fitting is too heavy for this loop suitable steel wire through the holes and up into the loft around or through the noggins.

Blup

Whilst you are fixing it you might as well move it to a better location over the stair well rather than over the stairs.

Whilst you are fixing it you might as well move it to a better location over the stair well rather than over the stairs.

Yeah I was thinking about this as well I can move it to the right.

I found plenty of boards in the garage to put it up with. But found the insulation rather gritty and terrible. At least it's beside the loft opening so no crawling in a very dangerous loft.

I can easily attach a ground wire to the metal bracket if needed - if there is one in the loft wiring. Most the lights in the house don't have it available.

it will also be easier to move it if you do all the loop/switch connections in the loft and just bring a single cable through to connect to the new light

Managed to get this on.

Added a board into the loft beside the one already there. Used 60mm screws and washers for the bracket. This ain't going anywhere.
Two ladders with a board in between with the son and wife help to hold it up. It was 10kg! each of those shades is solid cast aluminium.

The original loft wiring only just barely reached through the ceiling. No rose in the loft...sigh. No ground wire in the loft either so the loop is elsewhere.

It looks quite nice!

Attachments

• IMG-20230926-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20230926-WA0004.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20230926-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20230926-WA0002.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 40
Do you have to duck your head when you walk up the stairs on to the landing?

Do you have to duck your head when you walk up the stairs on to the landing?
Not all. It is not hanging over the landing or the top section of stairs at all.

But you can still play with the lights as much as you like! :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back