Hanging a heavy bag to a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, but I figured as I'm thinking about attaching something to a brick wall this might be the best place...

I’m a DIY-newbie. I’ve put up a picture and curtain rail but that’s about it, so I’m looking for some advice about a DIY activity I’d like to do.

I would like to hang a heavy boxing bag in my house. I don’t want to hang it outside, and the only inside option is the garage. There aren’t any decent looking roof beams, and it’s a flat roof, so I figure the best solution is to fix it from a wall bracket.

The wall I am thinking of attaching it to is a single thickness brick wall.

I am planning on attaching a 30kg bag using this bracket (which is spec’d for bags up to 100kg):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aDgrDQ7qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rather than fixing this directly to the wall, I thought it might be best to fix some wooden batons to the wall first and then screw the bracket to that.

I thought a 0.5” (deep) by 2’ (wide) baton horizontally fixed to the wall with 4 x ??? masonry screws would do for the top two fixtures for the wall bracket.

For the bottom two screws, I was thinking of a square of wood: 0.5” (deep) and 1’ x 1’ (wide/high) again with 4 x ??? masonry screws.

I’d then fix the bracket to the wall, with screws long enough to go through the wood, and into the brick.

So, I guess I’m asking:

a) Is this a stupid idea from the offset?

B) If it sounds reasonable what size screw would be best for the wood fixing and are the wood dimensions reasonable?

c) What size screw should I use to screw the actual bracket in?

The other side of the garage has a wall that it shares with the kitchen (so it's overall thicker), but it looks a hodge-podge of differently orientated bricks and breeze-blocks – hence why I’m thinking of avoiding that wall.

Any help would be appreciated! This seems like a simple task, so think it’s best if I give it a bash, but obviously the missus wouldn’t appreciate me ripping a hole in the wall…

Cheers,
John

Sponsored Links
The other option would be to drill through and put a spreader plate on the back of the wall, depending on the spacing of the bolts.

I would go with the resin fixings however as masona says, or rawlbolts using a calibrated torque wrench.

I have a HILTI catologue next to me if you want me read the code out of there as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back