Hanging up heavy punch bag, advise please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, i dont know if this is the right board for this but here goes anyway,

I recently bought a 24kg punchbag and a large strong (65cm long) wall bracket weighing at around 5kg, and im going to hang it on an internal wall which is a thin layer of plaster with bricks behind.

(geek mode on)
My theory was that as its a heavy bag, buying a long bracket with the weight transferance in the middle of the bracket would distribute the weight of the bag over a larger area.
(geek mode off)

But before i hang it on the wall i want to know if the actual wall could support one?

The reason i ask is that i know pretty much nothing about DIY, and i dont want to give my bag a good kick and tear down the wall :LOL:

Sponsored Links
success will depend upon how well the load is spread with the hanging bracket, the size of the fixings and the fixing substrate. if one of the fixings is not successful then you will have a weak point.

the mass of a swinging punch bag will increase with any movement.

you would be better off hanging it from the floor joists, and as close to the bearing wall as possible. you could use some beefy noggins between joists if necessary. at least you can guarantee a decent fix into timber.

If the bracket is designed for holding bag it should be fine but you will need to cut away plasterboard and replace with sheet timber[same thickness as plasterboard hole if you concerned about appearance] about 400mmm square should be ok, this should be fixed with 6-8 heavy 75mm screws to outer wall, you should then have a sound surface to fix plate too.
Consider the ceiling might be damaged when using a punch bag for kicking, mine used to hit garage ceiling [about 2.2m] when being kicked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back