Secure Mounting for a Heavy Punch Bag

Ok thanks, got it.

If I centre align the top holes, then the bottom holes will go into the mortar.

I can get all holes into brick if I go into the top and bottom of the bricks respectively. But it's it will leave about 10mm only to the edge, not ideal...

I'm going to get a heavy duty spring also to take some of the friction out.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Should I go into the centre of the brick at the top fixing, even if that means going into the mortar for the bottom fixing?

Ok thanks, I've drilled the holes, but I'm not that happy with the outcome.

Some of the rawl shield anchors push in pretty easily, without having to hammer them. It's red brick, and I can feel loose material inside a couple of the holes, where the brick must have an air hole or something...

I'm going to R-KEM+ resin fill them, before inserting M10 Rawlplug projecting bolts and tightening.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea?

Sponsored Links
I would just tighten them to be honest. I think you'll find they grip satisfactorily without the resin although it wouldn't do any harm to use it.

ok I've put it up, and it was a mixed result.
7 of the 8 fixings are very solid, tightened and fixed with resin.

1 of the fixings is rubbish. The anchor would not go in correctly, the resin has held it in place firmly, but the bolt just turns in the fixture when I try and tighten the bolt. I've damaged some of the thread trying to correct also, so I can't tighten the nut!

I added 2 eyebolts above the bracket, and secured with chain, as a failsafe, so if the top fixtures fail they will not rip-out, as the top 2 eye-bolts will take the weight.

The bag is up, and holding fine even with the failed fixture. If it wasn't for it being a top bolt, I'd not worry too much, but I do think I need to do something with it.

Any suggestions on how to sure this up would be most appreciated. Hopefully leaving the bracket attached and in situ.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Here's a pic.

nywi7b.jpg

2ui7z1z.jpg

316rg3p.jpg

Can you actually remove the threaded rod from the fixture within the wall? If yes, then you could try using one of the bottom ones since these are less load-bearing.

If all else fails, there's nothing stopping you removing the one that offends and drill a new hole through the steel and into the brickwork elsewhere.

Thanks, I can't remove the rod from the fixture. It's a right pain, it will turn freely, but not come out (that's how I damaged the thread, trying to remove it).

I was thinking of bracing across it, using a steel plate with a hole top, centre and bottom. Threading the centre through that damaged rod, and fixing 2 new M6 bolts above and below.

Then I don't have to modify the bracket.

Do you think that would compensate? To be fair it is pretty solid, could just do with reinforcing that side a little.

If all fails, then I can drill through a new hole (but I have no idea how I'd get through the steel!).

Strapping is possible but IMO more likely to allow movement. Standard metal drill bits (use a small one to get a pilot through then progressively larger - it's surprisingly easer than you'd think, but keep the drill running not overly quickly and spray with water a bit to prevent overheating)

The nut at the deep end of the anchor (the bit that moves up the bolt and spreads the 'arms' of the anchor) must be held stationary in it's fixing whilst you turn the bolt so it must be making no contact with brick or resin at the back.

Have you tried.... pulling it down / up / out whilst turning it (to try and force that nut to make contact with some brick and start working up the bolt), if so I would remove it with a utility bar, resin and all. and apply more resin specifically to the end. The damaged thread can be recut or even pushed back into place if not severe if you don't decide to use a new bolt.

I wouldn't modify or strap over the bracket as it will look super naff.

Cheers guys!!

I think you're right about the nut not connecting with anything, so it spins. I have tried leveraging it to try and force contact, and sometime I can get it, but the thread is too damaged to get the nut on without it spinning again.

I tried removing the bracket and applying more resin, but I had such a difficult time getting the bracket back on (as 1 of the bolts is not perfectly straight, and I have to align 8 of them) that I don't think I can take it off again. :oops:

Options:

(1) Drill a new hole in the bracket/wall.

(2) hacksaw off the bolt, and drill out the anchor and refit.

(3) Find some way of re-threading the bolt using an M10 die, as the fixture seems solid (it just rotates, no forward/backward/side movement).

You could try sawing off the nut and using a new nut on the threaded rod that remains since these are standard threads. Or is the thread near the plate the bit that is knackered?

Put a claw hammer under bolt head and apply pressure while turning, it's moved the metal plate suggesting it was slightly out of line , you could try tapping it in with a hammer as you tighten first to see if you can get it to fix.

RESULT!

I borrowed an M10 die cutter and clamp from a friend, and went over the thread a few times. The nut went on fine after that, and the bolt was not spinning any more. I think it must have pulled in a little and locked in place.

So, it's now tightened fully. It's not as deep as the other fixtures but I think it will do just fine.

p.s. I fitted the heavy duty bag spring too, and it works great. You can tell that it's reducing some of the movement through the bracket, so would definitely recommend.

Thanks for all of your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back