Secure Mounting for a Heavy Punch Bag

M

mevtickin3

Hi all,
I've purchased a heavy duty wall bracket with 8 fixing holes, to hang my 40kg punch bag to a brick wall, sitting approx 2 ft out.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TKO-Swivel-Punch-Wall-Bracket/dp/B0007ZF4V8

The wall is brickwork, and I propose to locate it on the interior of an external wall in a garage that seems in good condition and solid. The mount point would be approx 3/4 of the way up the wall. I cannot go right through the wall, as the exterior is facing to a neighbours garden.

What fixings should I use to ensure a solid mount to the wall?

Many thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Great stuff, thanks!
Should I be going M6, M8 or M10 for this?
and does the depth matter (M8/65mm seems standard).

Wasn't sure if I needed to put a plywood base board up first and bolt through that into the wall? :?:

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the size of holes in the bracket and work towards these; and nip down to B&Q.

As for fixing a backplate, depends on how flat the wall is. As for the depth - 65mm probably fine (bear in mind that bricks are nominally 100mm thick, so you have room to play with)

Thanks, so the backplate is used to flatten the contact surface with the bracket, rather then to spread the load?

Or is it a bit of both?

If a backplate makes it more secure, then I can easily fit this, but wouldn't I have to shield anchor this to the wall also, then use a longer shield anchor for attaching the bracket?

Like you say - it is a bit of both. There is the othe little detail that you want to make sure that your drilling into brick and not into mortar, which a backplate would ensure since you can decide where to drill the holes plus how many.

Personally, I'd try the anchor bolts alone first and see how that goes - you can always change it later on (and re-use the bolts so you're not wasting cash) if needs be.

You may need to protect ceiling is you intend kicking the bag as well as punching.

Yeah, those power kicks really need reigning in! :evil:

Ok I'm going to go with 8 x M10 shield anchors into the brick, if the surface is level enough. Otherwise I'll go 8 x M8 to secure the plate, then 8 x M10 for the bracket.

If I go with a wood plate, what type of wood should I use (MDF?) and what thickness?

Ok cheers guys, just checked the garage and the bricks are pretty level.
The wall is 1 brick deep, and the bracket holes position the drill holes towards the top of the brick rather than dead centre.

18mm thick ply will mean that only 45mm of the shield anchor is in the brick, the rest being in the ply. is this acceptable given the loading?

ok thanks,
what would be acceptable for this?

Should I just mount directly to the brick, so I have the full 60mm shield anchor embedded?

As stated, try direct to brick as a starting point, but also try to make the upper bolts central to the bricks since these will hold the majority of the forces involved.

If you do need to use a backboard, then you can get longer threaded bolts (standard M8 or M10 thread) and use the expansion parts of those fixings within the wall.

Unless the garage is really old or poorly built, the backboard isn;t going to be needed and is complete overkill IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back