Hanging punch bag from roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I realise the question where do I hang my punch bag from has been done a number of times, however I can only find threads for people hanging it from ceiling joists

I want to hang it from my roof joists

Basically, have no room for one, unless I attach the fixings and rope/chain to hang the bag on, to the roof joists in the attic. Theory is to then keep the bag in storage, when needed, open attic, drop chain/rope out, attach punchbag and box away

Will the roof joists themselves be sufficient to hold the weight of the bag, and withstand the forces generated through usage

This may be a bone question, but I dont want to stick it up there and cause damage, when I could have easily added a few extra batons to spread the load

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
id say if they can hold your roof up, they'll manage a punchbag.
As you say though, it would probably be worth putting some noggins in between the rafters that you fix to, to stop any possibility of twisting in the beams.

Yeah thats what i was thinking

Just wanted to check though, dont really want to cause damage!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You may need to protect chain from damaging the edges of the hatch where it passes thru as it will chew it up as it swings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back