Hanging punch bag from a shed wooden beam 50x152mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a 19kg (41lb) punch bag that I want to hang from a wooden beam in my shed. The shed is a large solidly built structure that is 5m x 3m (16ft x 10ft), and the beams are 50mm x 152 mm over the 3m span. I'm afraid I don't know the wood used as it was constructed by the last owner of the house (a builder).

I am not drilling into the beam, but instead using a custom made strap around the beam to support the bag. The literature of the strap says the beam will need to be able to support 90kg, I presume as there is a lot of heavier bags on the market than I have (19kg) and to allow for added pressure when moving after being hit.

My question is how do I know if the beam will be strong enough to support the bag?

Any help much appreciated!

I am able to hang my body weight (82kg) from the beam and do a pull up, so I *think* it should be fine, but is there anyway of knowing? any formulas?

Sponsored Links
how many beams do you have within 6 ft to spread the load across ??

Hi, thanks for commenting.
The shed is 20ft long with a beam every 3ft or so, there's probably 5 beams (not there at the moment to check). So in 6ft I suppose there could be three beams (if that's what you mean? Sorry I've not got much of a clue about this stuff!) I can only hang the bag from one though..

my thought are what ever number off beams a 4ft x8ft sheet can cover providing its at least 3 to spread the load
but i would still be worried with that load :oops:

Sponsored Links
I presume you will hang the bag about 4 feet from the wall & attack it mainly from the side facing the wall, or do you need to move around it? If it's the former then fit a diagonal 45 degree brace to the joist 3 feet from the wall & to a joist hanger fixed 3 feet down the the wall. Like a gallows. That will support your bag.

Can you not just bolt another timber either side of the originals?

The basic problem really is too small a beam is liable to bend, strengthening it will reduce that. If you can support the ends of the two strengtheners will be a bonus.

If there is no wall vertical under the ends of the beam you intend using then installing one under each end of beam might be a good idea simply to reduce risk of distorting the wall top member.

Should be fine if you only punching it, much greater force if you are kicking as well. ;)

Can you not just bolt another timber either side of the originals?

The basic problem really is too small a beam is liable to bend, strengthening it will reduce that. If you can support the ends of the two strengtheners will be a bonus.

If there is no wall vertical under the ends of the beam you intend using then installing one under each end of beam might be a good idea simply to reduce risk of distorting the wall top member.

I could do this - should my timber either side stretch the whole width of the beam or just a couple of feet?

few of pics of the shed beam location:

Planning on using one of these: http://indoorxtreme.co.uk/shop/punc...-hanger.html?gclid=CJKk--6s-sQCFYJZ2wodinkAwQ

Bag won't be hanging in centre of beam - is that an issue?

thanks all for your thoughts so far!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back