hanging up a mirror!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm about to put up a large mirror with a wooden frame onto my hallway wall (plasterboard). The mirror had come with two small brackets (D-rings?) and 4 screws, but no string. I assume I screw the brackets onto the wood and hang it by attaching the brackets to other screws fitted into my wall. Is that correct?

Also, which is the best part of the wooden frame to screw the brackets into? At the top horizontal piece (equally spaced)or somewhere on the vertical piece of wood?

Sponsored Links
Conventionally, the D ring supports fix to the vertical timbers of the mirror, about 1/3rd of the way down from the top.
You can use two screws in the wall (accurate measuring/levelling required :p) or a hefty cord strung between the D rings and one strong wall fixing.
John :)

I have a problem if I use brackets on the vertical timber of the mirror. If I position the mirror in the exact place I want, it will involve drilling and fixing a screw into the plaster board with electric wires behind I.e. one of the vertical timbers is directly above a double electric socket. Advice please!!!? It's the only place I want to put the mirror!

Don't do it then mate....pierced cables are a right PITA.
Consider putting the D brackets on the verticals, threading some hanging cord through and using a single central fixing. Keep the cord dead tight and it won't show.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers,

Alternatively, could I just use one bracket at the centre of the horizontal timber, then attach that to a screw in the centre of the wall?

put a ring in the vertical frame at each side, and two fixings (large hooks will be good but csk screws. not fully home, will hold a chain or cable) in the wall. String will chafe through.

the wall fixings do not need to be at the same spacing as the fixings in the mirror, but they do need to have the same centre.

Try very hard to put the wall screws into studs or nogs. Tap tap tap to find.

I have a problem if I use brackets on the vertical timber of the mirror. If I position the mirror in the exact place I want, it will involve drilling and fixing a screw into the plaster board with electric wires behind I.e. one of the vertical timbers is directly above a double electric socket. Advice please!!!? It's the only place I want to put the mirror!
Sockest are normally fed from below unless you know different?
You dont drill plasterboard, you use a self tapping plastic plug, you can push a screwdriver thru first, there is no danger of damaging cable with it.

Sockest are normally fed from below

Often.

But. e.g. if there is a concrete floor. they may be run horizontally or downwards. in some cases the upstairs sockets are run as spurs from the downstairs ones.

You can get a clue from looking behind the faceplate to see how the cables enter the box. Permitted safe zones are in vertical or horizontal lines up, down or sideways from the socket, but it is rash to think that people always follow rules.

Sockest are normally fed from below unless you know different?
You dont drill plasterboard, you use a self tapping plastic plug, you can push a screwdriver thru first, there is no danger of damaging cable with it.

I used a live wire detector, which confirmed the wires are running from above down.

I thought about using a self tapping plug, but was unsure whether this would be safe or not, as I would have to screw into them after they're fixed.

Top and bottom should be ok. Needs a bit of accurate measuring though.

The mirror had come with two small brackets (D-rings?) and 4 screws, but no string.
String is not suitable.
It tends to stretch, gets chafed and worn, then the heavy mirror falls on someone and seriously injures or kills them. Yes really.

Brass picture wire would be a better choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back