Hanging heavy extra large mirror plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6ft by 4ft large mirror which I need to hang on a plasterboard wall. The problem is that the heavy duty hanging straps might not necessarily align right next to the studs as the position of the mirror has to be a certain place. So my question is what are my options if either or both brackets do not fall anywhere near a stud?

I've seen some pictures of people using the plasterboard fixings pictured below. but I just cannot imagine all that weight being put on just these plugs. Any comments?

ae235

Other option i was thinking was maybe to get some kind of metal flat strap to go full width of the mirror and then screws that strap to the studs and then using self driling tappers attach the mirror brackets to the metal strap. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Horrible things.....consider hollow wall fixings - and the setting tool for them is dead handy too.
John :)

Thanks. But the hollow wall fixings seem to have a relatively low weight rating. Has anyone any experience with the new GripIT systems. I am thinking about the GripIt Blue which has a ridculous rating of over 200kg per plug. I'm wondering even if the plug had that rating I doubt the plasterboard can even hold that weight can it? Also there are the snap toggle system that uses m5 bolts where you pull a plastic tab and then snap the plastic off these seem to be a good system but not sure how much weight a plasterboard can actually take. Considering my mirror will hang on only 2 straps (one on each side) that essentially means one screw on each side of the plasterboard to hold up all that weight.

All of these fixings are variations on a theme, and we really don't know how strong the plasterboard will be.
It's actually remarkably strong with a static load.
Maybe you could add another pair of D loops to help you? If you could locate even just one upright or noggin it would help.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back