Hanging gym mirrors on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm a long time reader but first time posting.

I have a project to install some mirrors in a home gym. There will be 3 frameless mirrors installed in a row and each mirror will be 1830x915x4mm. The wall is timber frame and plasterboard.

I've given some thought about how best to fix the mirrors and each has pros and cons. For example, J Channel could be fixed to the studs and would protect the mirrors from any slight movement in the plasterboard. But it would leave a mm or two gap to the wall and would leave the mirror weak if someone fell against the mirror.

I've also considered just using mirror adhesive and fixing the mirrors directly to the plasterboard. But any movement in the plasterboard would be transferred directly to the mirror. Would the adhesive be flexible enough to cope with any wall movement? But I like that there is no gap between the mirror and wall.

I'm currently considering cutting some sheet material (ply or osb) to size and screwing that to the studs and then using mirror adhesive to fix the mirrors to the board. My thinking is this would add some rigidity and reduce plasterboard movement transferring to the mirrors. It would also give a better surface for the adhesive to bond to rather than painted plasterboard.

Does this seem sensible? If yes, would osb or ply be the better material. From an aesthetics perspective, thinner the better so I was thinking maybe 3.6mm ply?

Any better solutions I haven't considered?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Mirrors in gym's are fixed with J channels, they won't break if someone leans on them, glass is quite flexible.

The mirrors will be glass approximately 17kg each I think.

I received conflicting advice about J channels. A company that installs commercial mirrors wouldn't sell me the J channels and advised adhesive is always used.

Sponsored Links
Because of the risk of breaking if someone falls against.

Like you, I thought J channels were the way to go. That's why I'm here trying to figure out the safest/best solution.

You would have to a seriously poor wall construction to break a mirror with movement.
Glue to wall or mechanical fix, both are fine . More important to design gym layout so there is no chance of breaking mirrors.

Walls are good, no obvious signs of movement. Studs are every 600mm.

So forget the ply backing and just use mirror adhesive and stick them straight on to painted plasterboard?

I just can't see why there's a risk of breakage but adhesive is fine too, seeing as there are dedicated mirror adhesives. But I would go with the channels myself.

Commercial premises would use safety backed mirrors, that is with a lining on the back that holds onto the glass should it be broken. It's an option for the OP if he wants to spend a bit extra.

J Channel could be fixed to the studs and would protect the mirrors from any slight movement in the plasterboard. But it would leave a mm or two gap to the wall and would leave the mirror weak if someone fell against the mirror.
I fitted my 6'x4' gym mirrors to a brick wall with j channels. I was also worried about the slight rattling and potential damage if banged with an elbow or barbell, so I damped it by padding the void with some thin spongy foam packing material I took from the bin at work. Draft excluder strips would do the same, just stick a few stripes on the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back