How to hang a heavy mirror in a brand new house-no studs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have moved into a brand new house. There doesnt appear to be any studs behind the plasterboard instead ther are just dabs every now and again. I have been putting light things up on the wall using plasterboard fixings but i am worried that this would not support the heavy mirror (just under 20kg) that i want to put up. The wooden mirror also only has two points that i can hook into the screws-therefore each point will need to carry about 10kg. im tempted to just take the mirror back but there must be a way to put it up? has anyone else had experience of putting heavy things up in new plasterboard houses!

Sponsored Links
Can you use a hollow wall anchor (Screwfix 54782 for example) - or failing that, use a frame fixing - 17286 - which will pass through the plasterboard, and into the wall behind?
John :)

Plasterboard is quite strong for in-plane loads. A mirror flat against the wall should be fine. For heavy cantilevered loads, the special fixings use the masonry behind to take out-of-plane loads but use the plasterboard for in-plane loads.

Hi,
I had a similar problem and went to www.picturehangers.co.uk and used their HP18 fixers and SSP5 hammer in screw fixers for the plasterboard plate.
Have a look at the video, I was very impressed and its holding my mirror with no problem at all.
Hope it works for you
Rob

Sponsored Links
i had similar issue in my bathroom for heavy bath cabinet, i used 5 or 6 inch frame fixers, now i can sit in the cupboard lol. good luck m8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back