Heavy mirror... how to hang?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is an internal wall, timber studs with lath & lime plaster, which is fairly old and no good for fixing into. I need to hang quite a heavy mirror on it, but no idea where studs are. I have a couple of stud finders, but find them unreliable. How would you go about it? If I can find the studs, it's easy, but how to find them?

Cheers

20201221_154945.jpg

Sponsored Links
A neodymium magnet will find the nails which hold the laths to the studs.

Just be aware neodymium magnets come nickel plated and the nickel can slightly draw on walls. Wrap it in sellotape or use your fingers to 'hover' the magnet 1mm away from the wall.

A neodymium magnet will find the nails which hold the laths to the studs.

Just be aware neodymium magnets come nickel plated and the nickel can slightly draw on walls. Wrap it in sellotape or use your fingers to 'hover' the magnet 1mm away from the wall.

That's the pro tip I was looking for, I'll give it a go, thanks!

Check rad mounts first they may be on studs.

I thought about that, but the fixing points on the mirror don't line up with rad mounts. Worse case I could fix a batten to those studs then fix mirror to batten.

Sponsored Links
there’ll be one running vertically along side the door liner/ frame , to support it,
then at a guess from my experience every 16” from there. not exact I know but a good starting point.

there’ll be one running vertically along side the door liner/ frame , to support it,
then at a guess from my experience every 16” from there. not exact I know but a good starting point.
This, a magnet as suggested and then use a 2 or 3mm drill bit to find the stud centre.
The little holes will be hidden by the mirror or easy to redecorate.

I figured there'd be one there yes, but didnt want to guess, I was worried about drilling holes through wallpaper only to find out I was wrong.

This, a magnet as suggested and then use a 2 or 3mm drill bit to find the stud centre.
The little holes will be hidden by the mirror or easy to redecorate.

Thanks, yes once I think I've found something with the magnet ill use a 2mm bit to confirm.

You could run a kitchen cabinet wall hanging bracket the entire length of wall behind the mirror. That will be likely to hit at least two of the studs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2256083210?iid=321713457361

I use the above for hanging kitchen wall units on stud walls.

Buy two, turn one upside down to hook over the one fixed to the wall (alternatively buy one and then use the excess that you cut off to fix to the mirror).

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back